Panting?

DuckMom2022

Chirping
Jan 10, 2023
Hey all! I have 2 female ducks that don't leave their enclosure. Cocoa came out of her house one day limping. I have kept her quiet and let her be. She is eating and drinking fine. It's been about a week. She limps a bit. Yesterday she was quacking like normal, eating, drinking and even got in the kiddie pool. I see no injury on her foot. So she seems to be healing. My question is, she is doing this odd thing with her mouth. Not sure if she is panting (not hot outside) but she almost looks like when someone makes a sock puppet talk. I can't seem to find anyone who knows what this is. Is this a form of panting? I could use some help, as the nearest vet is far away and money is tight.

Hi.
How old is she, and is her tail end pumping at the same time? and when did she last lay an egg?
She is a year old. We have 2 females, so we collect 2 eggs a day. Not sure if it is her, chatty or both laying. Her tail wags from time to time. I do see her tail pump now and then too. We collected 2 eggs just this morning. Oddly enough, I checked on her a few minutes ago. She is holding her tail to the opposite side of the leg she limps on. Even when she is sitting.

Last edited:
She is a year old. We have 2 females, so we collect 2 eggs a day. Not sure if it is her, chatty or both laying. Her tail wags from time to time. I do see her tail pump now and then too. We collected 2 eggs just this morning. Oddly enough, I checked on her a few minutes ago. She is holding her tail to the opposite side of the leg she limps on. Even when she is sitting.
I’ve seen my ducks do the same kind of “sock puppet “ thing especially my pilgrim goose gander does it sometimes. I think he’s working on adjusting his throat to swallow stuff .
If your duck is laying eggs then she’s not eggbound or needing calcium like I thought might be .

Back
Top Bottom