paper wasp nest in tree in chicken run

snowflake

Crowing
12 Years
Aug 21, 2009
Belding Michigan
are wasp's a threat to chickens? some of my younger birds fly up into this tree, they wanted to roost there one night and as I was chasing them out I noticed the was nest. I am chicken to remove it, don't think spraying would be good. Make the wasp's angry and could go after chickens as well as us, it is not very high. Might be able to put a feed bag around it and clip the branch. Would like to wait till fall when it gets much colder at night, but they also become more aggressive in the fall. They don't seem to be bothering the chickens now. any one have any experience with this problem?

I remember when my wife put a stunned wasp in the brooder with our 2-week-old chicks. They played keepaway with it until one of them managed to get enough time to eat it. They had a lot of fun with that wasp. I personally don't worry about wasp nests as far as the chickens go. As far as me being around them, well that is a different story.

my chickens consider them fair game- they will run all over trying to catch and eat them..
smile.png

If you do want to remove it, get spray contact glue at the craft store after dark when they are all in spray the glue in it and remove it the next morning. I would to protect my family.

Last edited:
if you are really concerned about it stinging the chickens, get a can of the Hot Shot Hornet Killer, the can that shoots like 12 feet. I always keep a can on hand....

If you want to spray I use sprecticide (white can black lettering) that I get at home depot. It kills some of them so fast they don't even fall out of the nest.

It's always fun to use a can of WD40 and use it as a blow torch. Just don't do it in front of your kids. If you blow yourself up I will deny I ever suggested it.

Back
Top Bottom