Parakeet hurty!!

chickadee423

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 8, 2014
My female parakeet has a hurt foot. the foot is black and ''dead''. It is also bloody at the top.
I have been cleaning it daily and she is healing well, but foot still doesnt work. She eats and drinks on her own now. Vet is not an option at all!

Any idea what happened to it? Does she have a band on that could have caused the problem? If the foot is necrotic it can eventually poison her and kill her. I'd take her to an avian vet for a look if at all possible.

Not possible to we dont have the funds and there isnt one anywhere near us. We think the pet rat pulled her leg throught the cage but we arent sure.

I would soak the foot daily in warm epsom salts. If you don't have that, then hydrogen peroxide is good for debriding dead tissue, and can be used full strength to clean it daily. Wash it off, and put either betadine or plain neosporin ointment on the foot. If the tissue underneath the skin does not pink up and remains black, then the foot may fall off. There is not much that you can do for that, but I would give it a couple of weeks' treatment to try and save the foot.

Eggcessive, thanks for your reply. I'm gonna ask you to help me through this. She is eating and drinking. Her foot is completely black and has a slight odor to it. She has no feeling in it at all. I have been dapping it with peroxide everyday. Do i need to soak the whole thing? how will i hold her in it?

Get a bag of epsom salts, and mix a small amount in warm water in a small cup or container (follow package instructions on amount to mix.) Hold her in your lap while watching some TV, and just put one or both feet into the liquid for 10 minutes. If she likes to be held, she may enjoy it. Then dry her off, and put some iodine or betadine on her leg. Vetericyn would also be good to put on the leg instead of betadine. I'm not sure she will keep the leg if it is black. In chickens with frostbite on feet, they will fall off after a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom