Paralyzed hen

Jojoand chicks

Chirping
Mar 26, 2019
My hen is about 20 weeks and started walking like she was drunk then lost both leg uses
How do I care for her long term she been in the house for about 2 weeks now no signs of getting better
Any suggestions as to what I can do for her

Were your hens vaccinated for Mareks disease? Mareks can appear at this age. How is she doing now? Has she lost weight or have you been specially feeding her? What do you feed your chickens? Can you post a picture of how she looks most of the time? It can be hard to diagnose why a chicken is lame. They can become dehydrated, eat something moldy or poisonous, suffer a spinal injury, or have an inner ear problem. Does she move her legs, and do either have curled under toes? Human vitamin B complex 1/4 to 1/2 tablet daily is something I would try in case of vitamin B2 deficiency.
She came from private party husband didn’t ask about vaccine for marecks
After about the third day we started her on b12 Nutri drench and vitamins with elytralight yesterday was the first time I saw her leg and feet curled
She been separated from others for about 2 weeks
Unfortunately I’ve called every vet with in 50 miles no one treats chickens
I don’t know if she can live a content life laying down all the time

Lack of vitamin B, particularly B2, can cause leg paralysis in chickens.
That may not be the cause of your hen’s problems but vitamin B is readily available as a human supplement and is very safe to give.
That makes it a no-regret treatment to try. If it fails, no harm done. It is water soluble so you can give it in mash or in drinking water or both. It can take a week to have an effect.

Take her to a vet is my first suggestion.
I would like to be more helpfull but the list of what people would need to know to even attempt to help is extensive.
Have a search on threads that deal with paralysis would be a good start.
The range of possiblilities runs from osteoperosis, ear infection, an internal organ applying pressure to the spinal column, to Mareks disease.
No vet within 50 miles will see her
Don’t think it’s markes as she eating alittle and I’m keeping her hydrated
Been on b12 Nutri drench and vitamins with elytralites
One leg she can move and I’ve tried standing her up but to no avail now her other leg is not moving feet curled under wing
She’s been separated about 2 weeks from other hens
I just don’t know what quality of life she’ll have laying down 24 /7!

My hen is about 20 weeks and started walking like she was drunk then lost both leg uses
How do I care for her long term she been in the house for about 2 weeks now no signs of getting better
Take her to a vet is my first suggestion.
I would like to be more helpfull but the list of what people would need to know to even attempt to help is extensive.
Have a search on threads that deal with paralysis would be a good start.
The range of possiblilities runs from osteoperosis, ear infection, an internal organ applying pressure to the spinal column, to Mareks disease.

Were your hens vaccinated for Mareks disease? Mareks can appear at this age. How is she doing now? Has she lost weight or have you been specially feeding her? What do you feed your chickens? Can you post a picture of how she looks most of the time? It can be hard to diagnose why a chicken is lame. They can become dehydrated, eat something moldy or poisonous, suffer a spinal injury, or have an inner ear problem. Does she move her legs, and do either have curled under toes? Human vitamin B complex 1/4 to 1/2 tablet daily is something I would try in case of vitamin B2 deficiency.

have no idea. here's a list of people who might have something up their sleeve
@casportpony
@Kiki
@Isadora ?
@Shadrach (cause you've dealt with battery hens)
Can you take a clear video of how she's sitting/trying to walk right now and upload it to YouTube?

What exactly have you been feeding her?
How long have you had her and when was the last time you brought new to you birds home?

No vet within 50 miles will see her
Don’t think it’s markes as she eating alittle and I’m keeping her hydrated
Been on b12 Nutri drench and vitamins with elytralites
One leg she can move and I’ve tried standing her up but to no avail now her other leg is not moving feet curled under wing
She’s been separated about 2 weeks from other hens
I just don’t know what quality of life she’ll have laying down 24 /7!
I'm sorry I don't have any constructive advice. You could go through a list of treatments that might help but without knowing what the problem is a good result is unlikely.
Sometimes there are things that just can't be fixed and it's up to you to decide what quality of live is acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom