BigBlueHen53

❤️ Exodus 20:8-11 ❤️
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Mar 5, 2019
SE Missouri, USA
.... I don't get the ACV thing. I see where a lot of folks add Apple Cider Vinegar to their chickens' water, at least on occasion, for various health reasons. Here's why I'm puzzled. My kids and I have done experiments where we put eggs in tumblers containing water and ACV in various solutions, or just straight ACV, or lemon juice/water solutions, and the ACV always dissolved the shells. (The lemon juice did not, at least not to the same extent.) The stronger the solution (i.e., the less water), the more quickly the shell dissolved.

On one occasion we got a shell-less, or rubbery egg from one of our hens. That egg was exactly like the egg we got after soaking it in an ACV solution. I believe it was a 50% solution and we left it overnight.

When folks ask why their hen laid a shell-less egg, the answer is usually that the hen isn't getting enough calcium. Apparently, from our experiments, the vinegar dissolves the calcium.

So it doesn't make sense to me to give ACV to my hens if I want them to lay good, sturdy eggs with plenty of calcium and strong shells.

Can anybody give me any actual clinical evidence to justify giving chickens ACV? Have any actual studies been done showing that it is beneficial in any way, other than just personal testimonials?

I do not mean to come across as a cynic or a skeptic. I am just a sincere seeker after truth, and our experiments have made me curious. Thank you.

I think it has more to do with maintaining a specific ph balance which aids in digestion. It also combats certain parasites and respiratory illness. It can actually increase egg production. Chicken digestion is different to other animals and I think the ph effect of ACV helps them absorb nutrients better thus resulting in increased/better quality eggs.

Here's an article:

http://www.mysnazzychickencoop.com/...ider-vinegar-natural-improve-chickens-health/

There's no actual evidence that adding vinegar of any sort to waterers improves anything out there, so that's why scientific studies proving positive results are so lacking. Plain water is just fine!!!
There's a large number of testimonials concerning the wonderfulness of ACV and DE for just about every chicken malady, and they can be entertaining to read.
Actual science? Not so much.
Mary

There is also a big difference between you soaking an egg in your 50% solution and feeding it to a hen. Her egg internally isn’t
Soaking in it. It’s been broke down, digested, and leftovers passed, all from the digestive tract so her eggs internally never even come in contact with the ACV. The benefits of ACV is to use the kind with the mothers in it which is basically a probiotic and aids in digestion. Feeding it will not cause soft shelled eggs and if anything, will help break down the calcium oystershells in the digestive tract for easier absorption.

There's no actual evidence that adding vinegar of any sort to waterers improves anything out there, so that's why scientific studies proving positive results are so lacking. Plain water is just fine!!!
There's a large number of testimonials concerning the wonderfulness of ACV and DE for just about every chicken malady, and they can be entertaining to read.
Actual science? Not so much.
Mary

Well... that's kinda what I thought. But if there is any actual evidence out there, I am hoping folks here can direct me to it. Thanks.

There is also a big difference between you soaking an egg in your 50% solution and feeding it to a hen. Her egg internally isn’t
Soaking in it. It’s been broke down, digested, and leftovers passed, all from the digestive tract so her eggs internally never even come in contact with the ACV. The benefits of ACV is to use the kind with the mothers in it which is basically a probiotic and aids in digestion. Feeding it will not cause soft shelled eggs and if anything, will help break down the calcium oystershells in the digestive tract for easier absorption.

Thank you.

Thanks, @Henriettamom919 This appears to be basically an ad or testimonial. I am looking for actual scientific studies.

Hmm, I do see what you mean. Nothing from a university or agricultural org. I do like the benefit of it preventing bacterial growth in the water and have found that part to be true for me. Like most things, if it appears to benefit your flock then great, if not then don't bother with it :confused:

Back
Top Bottom