Parrots can make amazing pets. But should they even be pets?

Me and my Amazon parrot have been together since 1992. It's a toss up who will live longer, probably the parrot. In hindsight I wouldn't have gotten one. They are a lifelong commitment that doesn't always agree with you. Literally and figuratively. :)

Wow, that's so cool! Sometimes we do buy before we really think it through, but it's important to stick by the bird and do what's best for them. Good luck with your lifelong companion :)

Wow, that's so cool! Sometimes we do buy before we really think it through, but it's important to stick by the bird and do what's best for them. Good luck with your lifelong companion :)
I probably will at some point need to think about what I'm gonna do with her. It is crazy to have one animal with you for so long.

She bites me, so I don't handle her anymore, she likes my husband more but he's been bit a time of two. She gets moody, especially during spring and summer. They are like perpetual children.

The upside is I do have these weird conversations throughout the day. Mostly us yelling back and forth at each other. The bird is smart, and uses words appropriately. The downside is sometimes the yelling continues when I'm not in the mood to participate.

As the parrot says, "Hail Wheezer". I did not teach her that. I taught hello Wheezer. :) She does what she wants.

I probably will at some point need to think about what I'm gonna do with her. It is crazy to have one animal with you for so long.

She bites me, so I don't handle her anymore, she likes my husband more but he's been bit a time of two. She gets moody, especially during spring and summer. They are like perpetual children.

The upside is I do have these weird conversations throughout the day. Mostly us yelling back and forth at each other. The bird is smart, and uses words appropriately. The downside is sometimes the yelling continues when I'm not in the mood to participate.

As the parrot says, "Hail Wheezer". I did not teach her that. I taught hello Wheezer. :) She does what she wants.

I have heard that female parrots generally prefer male owners while male birds generally prefer female owners.

Also the talking does sound funny, it's amazing how they can speak in context. But I suppose it's important for people to know that a talking bird also screams and bites when they're not understood.

One of my teachers in college raises rare parrots, not sure what types. She has breeding pairs of several types, but, she has an entire wing of her house dedicated to them with their own heating and AC systems separate from the rest of the house. She even brought a newly hatched baby to school because she had to feed it constantly and couldn't leave it at home. She is a good parrot owner.

I also pet sat for some people that had budgies that you couldn't even go in the room with because they would freak out and fly into the sides of their cage so people only went in there to feed and water and then left again to minimize stress... Of course, while I was pet sitting the darn things killed themselves. There was a thunderstorm that night and I guess they got scared and broke their necks... The people were already looking to get rid of them so they weren't too upset.. but still... If the birds are going to live like that, then no, they shouldn't be pets.

I have heard that female parrots generally prefer male owners while male birds generally prefer female owners.

Also the talking does sound funny, it's amazing how they can speak in context. But I suppose it's important for people to know that a talking bird also screams and bites when they're not understood.
There is a lot of screaming and biting especially during the breeding season. I sometimes feel bad for her being so frustrated. :hmm

I can say here kitty, kitty, and she will meow. I never taught her that, she must have picked it up over the years. She also yells the dogs names, and will say what the hell, when something isn't right. We get mocked a lot. She has an "on the phone" voice with lots of yeahs, and she loves opera. It's amazing to me how much she seems to comprehend.

The bad side is I often feel like I'm keeping a prisoner. She does go outside and onto some play stands, but I still feel like a warden most days.

You know, as smart as they are, I wonder if they would use a modified tablet or laptop for entertainment. Obviously it would need to be protected from being chewed and pooped on, but something that they could play with or call up videos with. I have a koi game on my kindle that my cat likes playing with, why not a parrot?

There are a few interactive parrot toys out there. I haven't ever invested in any. Mine isn't big into toys.

One of my teachers in college raises rare parrots, not sure what types. She has breeding pairs of several types, but, she has an entire wing of her house dedicated to them with their own heating and AC systems separate from the rest of the house. She even brought a newly hatched baby to school because she had to feed it constantly and couldn't leave it at home. She is a good parrot owner.

I also pet sat for some people that had budgies that you couldn't even go in the room with because they would freak out and fly into the sides of their cage so people only went in there to feed and water and then left again to minimize stress... Of course, while I was pet sitting the darn things killed themselves. There was a thunderstorm that night and I guess they got scared and broke their necks... The people were already looking to get rid of them so they weren't too upset.. but still... If the birds are going to live like that, then no, they shouldn't be pets.

That's cool about you teacher.

That's so sad about the budgies. If you're going to get a parrot, you really need to invest time into them otherwise it's not good for anyone. When they're not tame, it's like keeping a wild bird in a cage.

At the moment I'm working on taming my fearful bourke's parrot. He is slowly getting tamer, but at least he lives outside in with my 'tiels, princesses and budgie where he happily whistles all day.

There are a few interactive parrot toys out there. I haven't ever invested in any. Mine isn't big into toys.

I'm trying to encourage my galah to play with toys and self-entertain. I feel so sorry for him because HE'S A GALAH and they're supposed to love playing and being goofballs but I suppose because of his unknown past, he doesn't :(

Back
Top Bottom