PARTRIDGE ROCK - - Breeders - - show us what you got . .

Ok I was able to upload pictures. Here is a front shot of my new cockerl and side shot of one of the older hens I have.

2275_012.jpg

2275_013.jpg

I know you're looking for Partridge Rock examples on the penciling, but since it was mentioned that the Silver Penciled Rocks have the same pattern, I thought I'd give you this picture of my Silver Penciled rocks for comparison on the penciling. These are NOT hatchery stock, I hatched them from Wynette. These birds are still young at 27 weeks old, so they have not molted into their adult beauty yet.

Showing the chest penciling:
SDC10779.jpg

She looks drunk here, but it shows the penciling well:
SDC10777.jpg

And another one:
SDC10775.jpg

I hope that helps you.

Edited to fix a typo.

Last edited:
Quote:
You pics remind me of a TRIANGLE. Is that the correct body shape for a partridge rock ? ?

Do you know enough about the breed to tell me what is wrong with my partridge rock pullets ? ?
- Keep it simple, PLEASE. Start me out on the two or three worse faults in my lighter pullet "NOW".
I don't think "LATER" has as good partridge markings as "NOW" does.

Quote:
On average, when do your girls start to go broody ? Do they go broody for the first time in the first year or later ? ? Do they make good moms or do they hatch and walk away ? ?

Quote:
Very NICE pictures. So, I think I am seeing a trend. I see the triangular shaped body again. The tail feathers look like they are almost even with the back. ALSO, the hens look like they are "LOW RIDERS" The feet look supper short because the body wrap around the legs - - low on the legs.

Does this sound like an accurate description ? ?

If this is a Partridge Rock thread, we must have baby pictures too. Here's my first 2 partridge rocks (pic taken last week at 2 1/2 weeks old). They're darker than the Speckled Sussex and Welsummer chicks I ordered from MPC at the same time.

25weeksold001.jpg

Quote:
My partridge rocks were ordered at the same time as my speckled sussex. The speckled sussex are the leaders and the partridge rocks are the follows. They are a tight little group. The speckled sussex TALK all the time. The partridge rocks rarely make any noise.

Funny how that's the oposite of a lot of Barred Rocks. Mine is VERY vocal and the queen of chicken-land.
They are all just beautiful! One more breed to add to the "Rock Collection" I'm starting!

Quote:
You pics remind me of a TRIANGLE. Is that the correct body shape for a partridge rock ? ?

Do you know enough about the breed to tell me what is wrong with my partridge rock pullets ? ?
- Keep it simple, PLEASE. Start me out on the two or three worse faults in my lighter pullet "NOW".
I don't think "LATER" has as good partridge markings as "NOW" does.

No triangle is not right. These pictures are of young chickens that have yet to fill out. They are also hatchery stock like yours. Correct shape is gravy bowl or derby hat. If you can look at some of the winner pictures of the Plymouth Rock club site. ALL colors of the Plymouth Rocks are to have the same shape. To truely judge this color variation you have to wait till after the first year big moult. I would say body you have to wait a year also as these are slow growing. The easy faults to spot early are in leg color and bad combs. Also tail width and set and wing carriage. I will get the SOP pages up later today that discribes those areas.

Study Peachdawg pictures. The Partridge male in the first picture and the Whites in the last picture have the more correct body type than my pictures do.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom