Partridge Rock Thread

Pics

THis is the best picture I have now available. Its the one on the left with *her* head up. She has always been the biggest and the only one whos comb is red instead of a light pink like the other 3. The coloring for them all seems to be the same but they are beginning to moult

Hi Armorfirelady,

I do not see rooster in your chicken. The wattles are still small and what I see of the comb it is not too pink. I also still see the barring on the neck. PR Roosters get black feathers that cover the barring on the neck. How old are they?

Ron

The lady I purchased them from said their hatch date was May 7th. I find it amazing how much they have grown in the week & half I have had them.

One seems to like to go into the nesting box during the day but from what I have read they shouldnt be ready to lay till mid or end of October. Maybe she is claiming her spot for when the time comes? lol I have one that lays in the run during the day as well. I figure its a chicken nap lol She is up and scratching and gorging on watermelon when the mood suites her

Thanks for letting me know you see no rooster in her. I have to look up to see what the barring is you refer to lol I find it amazing how much bigger she is than her sisters

Thanks again
Jenn

The lady I purchased them from said their hatch date was May 7th. I find it amazing how much they have grown in the week & half I have had them.

One seems to like to go into the nesting box during the day but from what I have read they shouldnt be ready to lay till mid or end of October. Maybe she is claiming her spot for when the time comes? lol I have one that lays in the run during the day as well. I figure its a chicken nap lol She is up and scratching and gorging on watermelon when the mood suites her

Thanks for letting me know you see no rooster in her. I have to look up to see what the barring is you refer to lol I find it amazing how much bigger she is than her sisters

Thanks again
Jenn

Hi Jen,

The pattern on the feathers is barred. Roosters lose that and the comb and wattles get much larger.

This is one of my Pullets at 13 weeks old:

The feathers have a dark to light reddish brown pattern.

This is one of my Cockerels at the same age:

Click on the picture to see a larger version.

Notice the large comb and wattles. The barred pattern is being covered up by the black feathers. He was starting to crow at this age too.

I hope this helps,

Ron

Yes it helps ALOT !! All my girls look like your pullet. There is no black on them like the cockeral has. Phew :) They are starting to molt so I am excited to see what how they are going to look like after they are done. I amost want to save some of their feathers because they have such beautiful coloring in them :)

Thanks again for your help

Hi all of you Partridge Rock folks!
frow.gif

My two are starting to lay regurlarly now. Cute little pullet eggs. They have also fully integrated into the laying flock and are no longer scared of the older girls. It was cute to see them lining up for the veggies and Black Oil Sunflower Seeds this morning. Today the got to eat celery!

How are your PRs doing?

Ron

My precocious little roo is 10 weeks old, and started crowing last week. It's cute for now, and just 2-5 times in the morning. If he can keep it at that, his life here may continue. I'm guessing his little teenage hormones may up the crowing frequency?

What a difference a few weeks makes! My girls combs and wattles seemed to sprout overnight, and to our surprise they lay light brown eggs, not like our other girls' whose eggs are medium brown.

What a difference a few weeks makes! My girls combs and wattles seemed to sprout overnight, and to our surprise they lay light brown eggs, not like our other girls' whose eggs are medium brown.

wee.gif

3829.gif

Great looking chickens, eggs and family!

You are Blessed!

Ron

Back
Top Bottom