Partridge Rock Thread

Pics
Nice picture there. Mine are not that well behave when it come to picture taking. LOL

As far as breeders there are so few of us that one hand has too many fingers. I know of 2 older breeders in these. Most are new like me and working with what they have. Hatcheries are still they way to get hold of them for now. Just stay away from Ideal and MM and you should be OK. I would try Sand Hill for they have been working with theirs for a few years. They have a web site here is the link
http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/pages/poultry_catalog.html You will have to look around on it a bit to get to sale chicks and see what they have availble and when. You might read our breeders thread. I am trying to get info on a swap in VA from a man that raises these.

Cyber, I went to a swap this weekend at Joel Gilman's place. He has one there every spring and fall... I was able to purchase one of his hens. She is a very big girl. I do have to say that our Mt. Healthy Rooster was comparable to one if his, so I just got the hen. She's laid two eggs in 3 days, so that was a relief.

If you can't work something out with Joel, I could ship you some eggs from her and our Rooster, if you are interested, now or in the future... I don't know how you feel about shipped eggs...

here she is
36723_4032401_orig.jpg

our rooster
36723_6034393_orig.jpg

Impressive rooster!

I got some PR chicks from Joel that day as well.. he invited me over to chat chicken at some point soon, I live just up the road from him. I'm also ordering a few from Mt. Healthy, I hear they have nice PR's.

Wow, DF, you are close. That is awesome that you were able to get some PR chicks from him!! Enjoy and post pics soon.

That interesting. Congrates on the hen. She looks just like 3 of my hens here. Something I have heard of late, those breeders that have been working with the breed are not much different than the MT Healthy stock. I wonder if one is supplying them.

Anyway watch your rooster wing set. His side profile looks a bit different than mine does, could just be how you catch him in stance. That is some neck feathering on him. I think our main problem will be getting the roundness too them in the back underside. Since they are to look like a gravey bowl or upside down bowler that is where I see the most needed help. They have no under neather back ends. I have a few hens that are nicely shaped but could still use more girth in body I think. I still need to get a scale to weigh them. Pictures just do not tell all by a long shot. If you touched these birds you would see most is feathering. That they have alot of no doubt abot it.

I had a funny about the coloring on our roosters. Neibor boy kept calling it turquoise. I told him it was beetle green he said nope tuqouise. In a certain light tail feathers can look that color. Alpha show most of his black with the green in it. These chickes do sparkle in the sun that is for sure.

Quote:
That's really interesting.. when I get my Mt. Healthy order (6 pullets, 1 cockerel) I'll be banding them so I can tell them apart from Joels. Will be interesting to watch for similarities/differences. They'll be arriving next week.

Quote:
Thanks so much for the information! I wanted to ask you, I have a hard time counting points on the combs. Would you say the guy in the pic has 6? The comb on the hen is a mess...

What are ya'll seeing as far as # of points? In the grand picture, should we be concerned about that now?

I was referred here by the Jersey Giant thread. So here's my original post from another thread:

I'm trying to identify a mystery chick we "rescued" out of an assorted pullet bin. (She didn't need rescuing, but was oh-so-cute, and the boyfriend didn't even try to talk me out of it!)

She's all black on her feet, comb, beak, feathers, even her cute little eyes seem black. I've heard about black combs maturing into red, but for now hers is still black.

These pictures, she's about 2 weeks old. She does have a little bit of greyish feathers on her underside, if you can tell.
81629_pic_0085.jpg

81629_pic_0088.jpg

This pictures she is almost 3.5 weeks old.
81629_pic_0139.jpg

And here she is today around 5 weeks old.
81629_pic_0266.jpg

81629_pic_0270.jpg

81629_pic_0274.jpg

So she's black, with some coppery/brown feathers coming in as well. Could she be a PR?

I did get her from our feed store who gets their chicks from MM (Murray McMurray, right?). So it's got me a little concerned since you said some of their strains are aggressive! So far, little Georgette is quite sweet and docile. She doesn't particularly like to be picked up, but she's not as terrified of us as some of our BRs and EEs have been. Thanks in advance for your help!
smile.png

Edited to add image tags. *DOH!*

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom