Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pennie1, Jun 19, 2011.

1. pennie1

pennie1 Redneck Silkie

Aug 17, 2009
    Hiles
    Quote:What is a cull to one person has something special to another--kind of like the junk/treasures found at garage sales. It really should not be an issue if some of the culls had proven to be cinderellas and you were showing them. Saying you bred them? yes, but not for showing them. It goes back to the [​IMG] of using other breeders names--are you being complimentary to them or taking credit for something you didn't earn? [​IMG]

I will happily say I bought what was someone's $10 cull grey cockerel and have a lot of absolutely gorgeous grey babies this year. And I am showing him at the State Fair as I wanted to enter a display. A few years ago I picked up a silkie cross cull from a friend and now have real mahogany in my flock.

It's awesome about your greys. Congrats!!!! And your true mahogany. I was going to work on salmon/calico but decided against it. Not enough time or space.
    I made a promise to myself before the idea of showing every really materialized and was just getting into the breeding, that I would NEVER show a bird that I hadn't bred myself. I didn't start out breeding $5 culls. They may not have been the most expensive birds out there, but were pretty expensive by my standards. I was the one that chose who was bred to who. I watch every baby hatch from my incubator and raised each one with tender loving care. I know what I have and if people have to throw stones they best not live in glass houses.

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:What is a cull to one person has something special to another--kind of like the junk/treasures found at garage sales. It really should not be an issue if some of the culls had proven to be cinderellas and you were showing them. Saying you bred them? yes, but not for showing them. It goes back to the [​IMG] of using other breeders names--are you being complimentary to them or taking credit for something you didn't earn? [​IMG]

I will happily say I bought what was someone's $10 cull grey cockerel and have a lot of absolutely gorgeous grey babies this year. And I am showing him at the State Fair as I wanted to enter a display. A few years ago I picked up a silkie cross cull from a friend and now have real mahogany in my flock.

It's awesome about your greys. Congrats!!!! And your true mahogany. I was going to work on salmon/calico but decided against it. Not enough time or space.
    I made a promise to myself before the idea of showing every really materialized and was just getting into the breeding, that I would NEVER show a bird that I hadn't bred myself. I didn't start out breeding $5 culls. They may not have been the most expensive birds out there, but were pretty expensive by my standards. I was the one that chose who was bred to who. I watch every baby hatch from my incubator and raised each one with tender loving care. I know what I have and if people have to throw stones they best not live in glass houses.

i well be first one tell u i have and do show other people birds one ladies i buy from dosent show but raise some lovelest bird u ever seen i buy chicks from her and raise them out. now if she shown i wouldnt show them agaist her.
    now if i buy birds as adults i dont show them

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:It's awesome about your greys. Congrats!!!! And your true mahogany. I was going to work on salmon/calico but decided against it. Not enough time or space.

i well be first one tell u i have and do show other people birds one ladies i buy from dosent show but raise some lovelest bird u ever seen i buy chicks from her and raise them out. now if she shown i wouldnt show them agaist her.

I agree that I would not want to show a bird I got from someone against them, although I was once chastised by that person for not doing so--wanted to see how the bird he had kept fared against the bird he'd sold.

And I would not show a bird I had just received, but if I have had it for awhile, yes, I will.

4. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

[​IMG]
    Quote:

5. Beth G.

I've bought SQ silkies from some very good breeders and if I sell them I tell people their bloodlines so they know where their stock came from. I've shown birds against the breeders and never once had them complain. I think once you buy that bird and its yours why would you not show it if it turns out to be a wonderful bird? Also, I show birds not to win but, to get feedback from judges and ask their opinions on a breeding match to improve. Hey, I have nothing to hide [​IMG] I even posted several silkies and I know who the pappa is and who the mamma is. When I know this I post so the possible buyer can see where they came from. This way if that have that stock already maybe they like the bird but, don't buy it due to possible inbreeding. I don't know I think sometimes ppl can be soooo political in hobbies that are supposed to be fun [​IMG] (ps not directing this at any of you all on here. Just speaking my mind)
    Quote:i well be first one tell u i have and do show other people birds one ladies i buy from dosent show but raise some lovelest bird u ever seen i buy chicks from her and raise them out. now if she shown i wouldnt show them agaist her.

I agree that I would not want to show a bird I got from someone against them, although I was once chastised by that person for not doing so--wanted to see how the bird he had kept fared against the bird he'd sold.

And I would not show a bird I had just received, but if I have had it for awhile, yes, I will.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  6. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Beth G. :

[​IMG]
    Quote:
    You should post pictures whenever you get the time ! Glad you and all the birds arrived safely!​

7. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:i well be first one tell u i have and do show other people birds one ladies i buy from dosent show but raise some lovelest bird u ever seen i buy chicks from her and raise them out. now if she shown i wouldnt show them agaist her.

If I purchase a bird from someone, I personally have no problem showing it at this stage of my life right now. I initially had to start somewhere, so showing stock bought from another breeder was what I had to do if I wanted the show experience. If I won with that breeder's bird, I'd give compliments to them for breeding that specific bird. I've even purchased an ad in the Poultry Press to say thanks to the breeder in particular.

The breeder also congratulated me as well and was happy for me because she was proud that I had taken time to raise the stock from two days old to maturity. It's also a great accomplishment to keep the birds in condition for showing as well. Alrighty, I'm finished with my opinion [​IMG]

8. cnmfarm

cnmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Londonderry
    Just found this thread, My Favorite Partridge!!![​IMG] Here's a couple pics of my little beauties [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Cockerel

[​IMG]
    Pullet

Cindy

9. Beth G.

Absolutely Gorgeous!!! [​IMG]
    Quote:

10. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Quote:
    You should post pictures whenever you get the time ! Glad you and all the birds arrived safely!

Thanks everyone! I will try to get some pics as soon as I find the charger for my camera! ;-) LOL But I think I brought the rain with me to Georgia! It has been raining ever since we got here!

cnmfarm.....very pretty!!! Both are gorgeous!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by