Partridge Silkies - Nothing else

Updated photos taken today of Kana, who is now 19 weeks and some change. She is gold over blue, not sure what to call her. Blue partridge does not seem quite right. Any thoughts? 😊
32E4E939-C933-43D7-8C8C-197AEAB3A6F3.jpeg
CAD16324-2222-4328-838A-B318D88640F3.jpeg
BF954E7F-A76D-4F4B-A128-7E795F577F87.jpeg
A8C65F72-075A-4A9C-8066-A196F2BB0501.jpeg

Except for 2 or 3 speckled wing feathers on each of my Partridge baby's wings, one would think she was just a Black Silkie at first glance. I don't breed birds but I suppose this girl would be considered to have the Partridge gene to carry to her offspring? I'm not zoned for breeding but happy that my neighborhood is zoned for at least a handful of chickens!
DSCN8614.JPG

Closeups anyone?
DSCN8662.JPG

Growing up way too fast!
DSCN8753.JPG

This little itty bitty goes for car rides when we do errands. There's no way she wants to be left home alone!
DSCN8803.JPG

There's a couple black dotted gold wing feathers each side but so far no gold on crest or neck feathers. Not quite 2 months old yet.
DSCN8808.JPG

My dark partridge was fully black for about 3 months. When she finally got full adult feathers finished at around 5 months, she had the dark brown and black feathers.

Partridge or at least it's wild type is basically the default chicken color. Traditional white silkies are recessive white. It's the original silkie color. That covers all color. It's safe to assume they are partridge underneath.

So many people mix colors now that you have to be careful if you're breeding. Just because it looks a certain color doesn't mean anything. If it can't breed true (50% of the time for recessive traits) it's not actually that color.

I got bit by that with one of the first partridge silkies I got. It apparently was carrying a copy of lavender. She may have also been where the white that pops up on me very rarely comes from.

Except for 2 or 3 speckled wing feathers on each of my Partridge baby's wings, one would think she was just a Black Silkie at first glance. I don't breed birds but I suppose this girl would be considered to have the Partridge gene to carry to her offspring? I'm not zoned for breeding but happy that my neighborhood is zoned for at least a handful of chickens!
View attachment 2373636

Closeups anyone?
View attachment 2373637

Growing up way too fast!
View attachment 2373624

This little itty bitty goes for car rides when we do errands. There's no way she wants to be left home alone!
View attachment 2373625

There's a couple black dotted gold wing feathers each side but so far no gold on crest or neck feathers. Not quite 2 months old yet.
View attachment 2373626
She is so adorable, she is getting big fast!
Pretty sure if you keep them in your house, you can have as many as you want. :)

20201018_095414.jpg

So would my Obie (Rooster at he front on the right) be considered partridge or just black with partridge leakage as he started off with completely black chick down. What is the genetic difference between Moorhead and regular partridge? Interestingly, Amelia the dark hen at the back started off with chipmunk brown stripes on her chick down but is pretty much black with a little leakage now so I'm not sure what she is either.

Cleo (grey coloured hen front left) also was black with grey chipmunk stripes, is she silver partridge or some other colour? All 4 (including phantom the white cockerel at the back) came from the same place- not sure if eggs were from the same or different pens though.

Back
Top Bottom