pasty bottom chicks any suggestions

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kimt816, Feb 6, 2009.

1. kimt816

kimt816 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2008
    kernersville, nc
    i have a mixed batch of chicks age 4-5 days and today i noticed 6 -7 had pasty dried poop stuck to their bottoms the book says gently pick clear and watch any other suggestions.

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I use a wash cloth, warm running water and gently rub away. When I'm done I use a q-tip and smear alittle olive oil on their bottom. [​IMG]

3. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Wet it first it makes it easier to get off. Also the other chicks will peck at wet fluff so towel dry and separate the chick until it's completely dry.

4. kimt816

Aug 13, 2008
    kernersville, nc
    thanks any suggestion as to why? feed or what? they are on chick starter

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    It happens sometimes, you're doing nothing wrong. Just clean it and check all the chicks' vents.

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    It could be food, stess, brooder too cold, just about anything.

7. kimt816

Aug 13, 2008
    kernersville, nc
    thanks again they are doing well otherwise eating like little piggies and drinking well just hate to see anyone sick [​IMG]

8. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Make sure the heat lamp is showing they are comfortable and will be able to move away if too hot or need to exercise. Make sure their feed is nearby to begin with so they do not get cold while eating. Also, the water temperature must be warm, not cold. Cold water can shock and kill very young chicks. Its wise to also keep the water nearby, close to begin with, to the heat lamp area. These suggestions, along with cleaning, drying, and applying olive oil, while ensuring each chick does not get cold while doing the above will ensure no more pasty butt if the chicks are healthy and the feed is good quality.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by