Pasty Butt cleaned off but lethargic and not peping up

Quack

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 13, 2012
I check my Bantom chick bums 5 times a day and one of them had pasty butt tonight. Shes about 1 week old I cleaned her off but she was really lethargic so I tried giving her some gatorade with a dropper on her beak and some egg yolk. She acted like she was pepingup 30 min later pooped 3 times but know is not moving and is making a crackling sound when she breaths. I am worried she inhaled liquid. I dont know I lost one 2 days ago but I never saw her eat and am pretty sure it was a failure to thrive she was 2 days old. Any suggestions she is not getting up to eat or drink on her own.

It does not look good for this chick. I would seperate her from the others and keep a good supply of vitamin water for her. She will either pop out of it or succomb to her problem.

Thats what I was afraid of. We only started with 4 and not that its easier when you have a lot but being left with only 2 babies would be a big bummer. It doesn't help that my 4 year old is gonna cry as well. My husband thinks we should pick up a few more but its really hard on me when I wait up to watch them die while he sleeps. I just can not go to be wondering if they will be alive in the morning.

She was dead when I went down stairs to check not looking forward to telling my daughter another chick past away. When do you get to take a breather, it seems like if I am not down there all the time something aweful happens. She was the only one that had not scared me and now 1 week later dead. Man baby chicks are not as fun as you think they are (well not when they keep dying atleast).

The other babies are doing great but I am down to 2. One piggy silkie (that is a breed right,she never stops eating) and a Bantom not sure what kind yellow with a couple black spots. I am afraid I will end up with 2 boys so I think I am going to pick up a few more chicks.

You may want to.dose them with Corid if you are losing chicks and especially if you bring in new ones. For babies it is best not to dribble liquid into the beak but dip the beak in a shallow dish. It is very easy for a sick bird of any age to inhale liquid. you can also inject it under their loose skin by their shoulder blades. Sorry for your loss...... Chicken raising can be fun and heartbreaking

I'm sorry to hear about your problems and losses
hugs.gif
I had a problem with the dreaded pasty butt and I lost some chicks to it as well. Then I learned Apple Cider Vinegar helps prevent it and gives the chicks a general health boost. I mix 5 tablespoons with a gallon water and gave it to my new chicks and the older chickens as well. The chicks all grew up healthy, happy and completely hassle free. No pasty butt! And my older chickens are looking great too. I even got more eggs!
thumbsup.gif
I'd definitely recommend it.

O thanks so much I worry about the other ones now and do not want to become neurotic. At least I am getting lots of exercise runny up and down the stairs.

Thanks I think I need to go to the store see if they have that and chick saver.

Back
Top Bottom