Pasty Butt in a 1 yr old chicken

cjpines

Songster
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
I have 6 chickens, hens. My one year old just got a pasty butt. She's eating, drinking and laying eggs normally. Her attitude is fine.

When this happened to another chicken it finally cleared up by itself. It's very hard to catch my chickens, so I'm wondering if it's okay to let the butt heal itself.

Won't the poop just dry up and flake off?

Tks for any comment.

I have 6 chickens, hens. My one year old just got a pasty butt. She's eating, drinking and laying eggs normally. Her attitude is fine.

When this happened to another chicken it finally cleared up by itself. It's very hard to catch my chickens, so I'm wondering if it's okay to let the butt heal itself.

Won't the poop just dry up and flake off?

Tks for any comment.
I am no expert, but I would not just let it dry up and flake off b/c who knows how long that would take or if it even will really happen.

We have had extra cold weather this year. I have had 3 hens that we have done "poop removal surgery" on. For us it happens when it is the coldest. I notice they are all huddled together for warmth, they stand up, poop and then lay back down in it. My concern is that it will continue to build up and block the vent. The more butt fluff the more for poop to get stuck on.

It was all clumps of poop, for me, not really what I would consider pasty butt, but not sure what to call it. The 2 birds I caught it in early were easy to cut off. The one that I discovered, I think later, the poop had sorta dried out almost like freeze dried astronaut food, and seemed to be continually catching more poop each time and it was crusted all the way down to her skin so it was a long process of loosening with warm water and removing it. So I recommend you do something sooner rather than later.

I am no expert, but I would not just let it dry up and flake off b/c who knows how long that would take or if it even will really happen.

We have had extra cold weather this year. I have had 3 hens that we have done "poop removal surgery" on. For us it happens when it is the coldest. I notice they are all huddled together for warmth, they stand up, poop and then lay back down in it. My concern is that it will continue to build up and block the vent. The more butt fluff the more for poop to get stuck on.

It was all clumps of poop, for me, not really what I would consider pasty butt, but not sure what to call it. The 2 birds I caught it in early were easy to cut off. The one that I discovered, I think later, the poop had sorta dried out almost like freeze dried astronaut food, and seemed to be continually catching more poop each time and it was crusted all the way down to her skin so it was a long process of loosening with warm water and removing it. So I recommend you do something sooner rather than later.
Good to know, thank you.

I add ACV with the mother and soak feed in it with water over night if this happens since if it is allowed to build up it is possible for it to clog the vent and eventually that can lead to death. I had that happen once when I was on vacation came home and it was too late she was sick and died before I could get it cleared off.

check out the fermented feed blogs to get a starter recipe it works wonders!

Good luck

Technically that is not pasty butt. Pasty butt is when the poop hole actually is clogged up by built up feces and the chick will die if it is not removed. I've never seen an adult with pasty butt.

Lots of reasons for runny poop if that's what you're talking about. An ill bird will runny poop. May or may not be related to worms. May or may not be related to a number of other things like internal laying and/or egg yolk peritonitis or any other illness. If it just sticks to the fluff, that happens on some healthy hens. I think some don't distribute the oil from the gland well and poop builds in the butt fluff and builds up these rock-like things. I call it "velcro fluff", as opposed to some hens who have "teflon fluff" and never get it.

Back
Top Bottom