PASTY BUTTS.. Need help for dosage of tetracycline...

aurorarose25

Songster
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Mesa, Az
I just bought some tetracycline Hydrochloride from the feed store. It doesn't say for exact poultry... but how much do I use in a 1 gallon waterer for chicks??????

The treatment for pasty butt is to remove the poo by washing their backsides under warm water or using a gentle wet rag/qtip.

You might have to repeat the next day and so on, as it tends to recur.

If they are attracted to the newly scrubbed bottom and try to peck each other's bottom, you can apply no-pick lotion or salve, available at the feed stores usually.

Are they sick?

I don't give my chicks antibiotics, even though some folks do, unless there is an infection.

There are some threads:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=275031

Does it say Duramycin? What exactly does the label say?

Last edited:
Quote:
No it doesn't say duramiacin. Is says Polyotic Tetracycline Hydrochloride soluble powder antibiotic.....

but directions on back says dosage for calves & swine..

Please tell me I didn't get the wrong one??????????????

Is their only symptom pasty butt? If so, I don't think they need antibiotics.
I would put some Apple Cider Vinegar in their water and keep their little behinds clean.

Quote:
No it doesn't say duramiacin. Is says Polyotic Tetracycline Hydrochloride soluble powder antibiotic.....

but directions on back says dosage for calves & swine..

Please tell me I didn't get the wrong one??????????????

Tetracycline can be used on poultry, I'm just not sure your babies need it at this point.

I would just wash their bums.
idunno.gif

Are they sick?

I have already lost 3 babies since they arrived. These are expensive babies. I can't loose anymore. the 3 that died were full of energy then suddenly got kinda droopy then were not moving around a lot and by next morning one was dead. same thing happened 3 times.....

Could be cocci-if so, the treatment for that is Corid.
Are you seeing lethargy and are they standing in the corner all puffed up?

Back
Top Bottom