Pea chick with a broken neck maybe?

Steve_of_sandspoultry

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Eastern North Carolina
Looks like one of our 7/8 ES broke or cracked it's neck last night
sad.png
It flew up into a roost, you can feel a knot about 1/2 way down the neck. I did see it move it's head but it's has trouble moving it's legs. We made it comfy and will see what it looks like this afternoon. I don't hold alot of hope but thought I would ask if anybody ever had one make it like that?

Steve in NC

Quote:
Hey Steve- Looks like the more roosts worked!

I think I would move the roosts, or you will be eating more birds than you expected. Remember it's usually the more expensive one that something happens too also.

I have seen injuries that have went both ways. We don't usually have a problem with them hitting the roosts or top of pen, etc. Most injury problems I see is people trying to put a pheasant or peafowl into to large of a transport cage. If the bird has alot of room to jump around and bounce up, it has alot of potential to hurt itself. I would give it some time to see if it improves.

I know several people that have butchered peafowl, suppose to taste good.

Quote:
Hey Steve- Looks like the more roosts worked!

I think I would move the roosts, or you will be eating more birds than you expected. Remember it's usually the more expensive one that something happens too also.

I have seen injuries that have went both ways. We don't usually have a problem with them hitting the roosts or top of pen, etc. Most injury problems I see is people trying to put a pheasant or peafowl into to large of a transport cage. If the bird has alot of room to jump around and bounce up, it has alot of potential to hurt itself. I would give it some time to see if it improves.

I know several people that have butchered peafowl, suppose to taste good.

Yer alot o help
tongue.png
lol

Pheasants we have plenty of, IB's plenty of them to - why is it always the birds you really want that have a death wish?

Steve

Last edited:
Pheasants we have plenty of, IB's plenty of them to - why is it always the birds you really want that have a death wish?

The law of raising animals!

Cheap-- lives forever, no problems.

Pets- predators favorite!

Expensive- dies easy, prone of accidents.

Remember to that predators carry a price list with them! The expensive birds must taste better than the cheap ones.​

Expensive- dies easy, prone of accidents.

Remember to that predators carry a price list with them! The expensive birds must taste better than the cheap ones.

I like both comments. It's moving it's legs this afternoon and looking around. I guess I'll make up my mind tomorrow.

Steve​

I hope it's even better tomorrow. Maybe it just sprained it's neck or did something to a nerve, that will eventually heal with time.
fl.gif

It didn't make it. I really wasn't suprised.
sad.png

But on a good note I called the breeder and informed them that their birds are defective since they come with fragile necks and for a small some of money (small -ya right) they are sending a sexed pair in the fall when it cools down enough to ship. Now i'm quite sure the 2 remaining ones from the first order will be fine and probably be a pair. lol

Steve

Back
Top Bottom