Pea-people who can speak French?

Have any of you tried this: http://www.babelfish.com/

J'aime les paons
wink.png

-Kathy

Moi aussi
love.gif

But I haven't tried Babelfish... that's a good idea!

I'm just so hoping there are other pea-folks who can join in and chat... the language thing makes it a bit hard to have a wide conversation. This person has been trying to ask questions since November 2012 (two years!), but hasn't had a lot of responses over there. Glad there's stuff going on over here, because there's just not much happening on the forum over there. I think there's chatter on Facebook, but being a certifiable old fogey, I don't have one of those FB accounts
old.gif

I looked at BYC home page, and there's upwards of 300,000 members now... that must represent quite a number of languages in addition to English, so I'm optimistic we can expand the conversation over here
yippiechickie.gif

Did you look at the posts over there?

Yippee
wee.gif

Jacky, a pea-person from France, has posted back on the UPA forum that he will join us over here at BYC. But he is concerned about his lack of English speaking skills.

I told him not to worry about it.

Who else speaks French (not that mine is all that great), so I can tell him there's folks who can help with the translations?

(I've been using a combination of what I remember plus checking to see what Google translate gives me... and getting by with that. Being old, my French is rusty
old.gif
and out of date
gig.gif
)

Tell you friend, thanks to Kathy, if she can use babelfish, so can we.

Je parle français ... et je connais son problème !
I speak french , .... and i know his problem !

He has a lot of questions about Silver Pied pattern, he think the Silver Pied gene exists!
Someone on the forum UPA was told that the peacock Siver Pied = SP / W / We / We. But the SP gene (Silver Pied) doesn't exist!
But in the Silver Pied pattern it's not the P gene how is special but the We gene. In the end, the interaction between this special We sp gene and P / W genes .

Garden Peas ,Can you answer him in French "Ce que Dany12 a dit sur le forum français ... c'est la vérité ! )
What Dany12 has said on the french forum ... it's true !

But you have apparently located the translator function?  That's terrific! :jumpy

Hey @Arbor
and @AugeredIn
, how's your French?  Our new friend Jacky from France has interesting questions...  He's been posting once in awhile over at UPA for a couple years, to ask questions, mostly, but there's not much response these days.  He's been breeding peas in France....

I've been in contact with him a great deal in the past over at the UPA site, but I no longer visit it as weeks often go by without any postings. He also knows Dany12 here as they both are part of a European site (which is quite good, but my ipad doesn't seem to like it much). Just let him know his English or French is more than welcome here!

Thanks, everyone. I've sent him detailed instructions on how to find the website and the peafowl forum, so hopefully he will check the postings and find the instructions. I'm not sure I could track down a website in a foreign language if I did not speak it at all, but since he did it once before to join the UPA, I'm hopeful he will figure it out
wink.png
He has always asked very thoughtful questions.

@Dany12 , yes, I wrote a few days ago when I first saw his latest question, explaining as best I could about the variant WE gene. You can see what I wrote over on the UPA forum under the "breeding and genetics" topic in response to his question. I have a different name over there, I use "lhROW" on that forum, but I like the name "Garden Peas" better -- I joined over there several years ago, so I've had a while to come up with a better name
gig.gif

Dany, I'm so glad you can speak French... the translators are a marvelous development, but they occasionally give wacky results, so I use them to check what I write and I translate forwards and backwards... it's a bit slow, since I am so out of practice, and my verb conjugations are no longer so precise as I would like.
barnie.gif
Getting old is not for the faint of heart
old.gif

Last edited:
Je parle français ... et je connais son problème !
I speak french , .... and i know his problem !

He has a lot of questions about Silver Pied pattern, he think the Silver Pied gene exists!
Someone on the forum UPA was told that the peacock Siver Pied = SP / W / We / We. But the SP gene (Silver Pied) doesn't exist!
But in the Silver Pied pattern it's not the P gene how is special but the We gene. In the end, the interaction between this special We sp gene and P / W genes .

Garden Peas ,Can you answer him in French "Ce que Dany12 a dit sur le forum français ... c'est la vérité ! )
What Dany12 has said on the french forum ... it's true !

@Dany12 , une chose de plus, ou peut-on trouve le forum francais?

Et comment puis-je transformer mon clavier pour ecrire avec les marks diacritiques????
he.gif

Dany, thank you!
clap.gif
I just looked, and it is a beautiful site, marvelous!
jumpy.gif

And google translate is offering to display it in English, so anyone here can go and see what it says... how cool is that?

I think perhaps I might join... I just really, really need to figure out how to get diacritical marks on my keyboard. Does anyone know?

Never mind, I found them here under the "omega" button, yippee!
yesss.gif

Last edited:
@Garden Peas
I don't know if you have tried this already, but on my computer, if I type a vowel and hold the key down, I get a pop-up menu of vowels with diacritical marks to choose from.
It looks like this:

*This might only be on a Mac?

(*oops never mind better not change the subject)

Last edited:
@Garden Peas
I don't know if you have tried this already, but on my computer, if I type a vowel and hold the key down, I get a pop-up menu of vowels with diacritical marks to choose from.
It looks like this:

*This might only be on a Mac?

(*oops never mind better not change the subject)

Hadn't tried that (my android phone does it, though!) but on the notebook, pressing and holding e just gets eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee all the way home. Sigh. I tried it with various combinations of keys to see if it needed some other key pressed to know to do that, but no joy.

Never owned a mac, dunno 'bout those, but it seems smart
smile.png

I'm sure if I knew how, I could toggle on a French keyboard... I'll have to put the kiddos onto the chase. That will be much faster then me searching, I betcha
lau.gif
My in-house IT experts...

Back
Top Bottom