peach split to

pedda munnangi

Songster
7 Years
Feb 19, 2012
Can there be a peach split to purple or cameo male, and a female? If so, What do we get breeding peach split purple male with a purple hen and with a cameo hen?

That is exactly my question, my friend. Hopkins live stock selling " A pair of Peach split to Purple "- 2012 hatch on UPA classified. I am not questioning knowledgeable peafowl breeders but trying to learn and understand if there exists such a peafowl?. If so can we see some pictures ? What could be its genotype ? Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it is possible. Since the peach colour is apparently derived from a combination of purple and cameo, I would think it not possible. I too have seen the ad. I'm not sure of the breeder's intentions either. It could be he is selling birds with double purple and single cameo (males that is). We do understand that a hen cannot be split to any sex-linked colour, so the hen would have to be peach or purple.

Well, I dont question Craigs work, so he would have to be the one to state how he got them .. Maybe coming down from multiple lines. Not sure what the desired purpose was,, maybe just the challenge. I know that I have gotten both Peach and
Cameo from the same breeder pen when useing split males so the way that this gene works still has some surprises. George

from my understanding from aquaeyes earlier thread concerning the creation of peach that peach birds are considered split to both purple and cameo because they carry both genes in order to combine and create peach.

Due to cross over, Both cameo and purple genes are located on single z chromosome .Therefore , I think both of these genes are passed on together (non separable ). to an offspring . The males with one of this z chromosome and another purple gene on the other z chromosome, make the male " Purple split peach". On the other hand, if the second z chromosome carrys a Cameo gene, then that male will be " a Cameo split peach". of course, the male with two of these cross over z chromosomes makes him PEACH. . Now the big question is---- the possible presence of another purple cameo opal or any other gene on this peach. ?????? The peach female carrys only one cross over z chromosome, with both cameo and purple genes ( non -separable) on it and the other is a sex chromosome.. please correct me. Thanks.

Due to cross over, Both cameo and purple genes are located on single z chromosome .Therefore , I think both of these genes are passed on together (non separable ). to an offspring . The males with one of this z chromosome and another purple gene on the other z chromosome, make the male " Purple split peach". On the other hand, if the second z chromosome carrys a Cameo gene, then that male will be " a Cameo split peach". of course, the male with two of these cross over z chromosomes makes him PEACH. . Now the big question is---- the possible presence of another purple cameo opal or any other gene on this peach. ?????? The peach female carrys only one cross over z chromosome, with both cameo and purple genes ( non -separable) on it and the other is a sex chromosome.. please correct me. Thanks.

I think this is where some experimental breeding may be required to clear things up. It is possible to have a sex-linked colour split to a non-sex-linked colour (ie. purple split opal - I have two hens). As for the non-separable purple and cameo gene (which would give rise to peach), I am unsure whether it would be non-separable. It depends on what you are using for breeding. A split male (split peach) would not necessarily have both purple and cameo on one gene. It is quite regular for splitting of the chromosomes to be irregular, which may be the cause of this - especially if we are getting both peach and cameo from the same male. I would guess that a male that is split purple and split cameo could produce hens in purple, cameo and peach, with the peach hens being quite rare. I am planning on doing some breeding in the next few years to determine some of these unknowns. Pedda, I understand you have peach birds, correct. I am pretty sure I know the breeder you received them from - I too have gotten some from him in the past. His breeders that produced these peach birds are not peach in colour, but a Cameo split purple I believe. Maybe you could also do some breeding in the coming years to help clear this up? PM me if interested, so we can see what crosses would need to be done.

from my understanding from aquaeyes earlier thread concerning the creation of peach that peach birds are considered split to both purple and cameo because they carry both genes in order to combine and create peach.
It wouldn't be split to both, but in fact actually both (visually portraying cameo and purple at the same time to give rise to the peach colour - a double copy of both).

A cameo looking male that has " one z chromosome with one cameo gene and one purple gene" and a Cameo gene on the other z chromosome should be called Cameo split peach, not Cameo split purple says aqua eyes. Similarily, A purple looking male with one cameo gene and one purple gene on one z chromosome ( due to cross over) and a purple gene on the other z chromosome is actually " a purple split peach " not a purple split Cameo says Aqua eyes. I think I understand his version to be the right one.. Now I have a 2 yr old " a pied cameo looking split peach and a real peach looking , also pied hen- yearling though, which I should be able to breed next year-to see the outcome. I agree with you my friend Arbor 100% that the gentleman who sold me and you the so called peaches does not have a real peach male. Here are a few recent pictures of my 2 year old Cameo split peach/pied male? and yearling peach/pied hen. Some how we do not have many people participation to contribute for the understanding of peafowl genetics. This is where we all miss our beloved legend Mr DEERMAN. All that I have learnt is from our BYC institution .T BYC.and its members The first picture is the male and the rest are of hen .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom