Peachicks of 2016 photos -- Let's see the babies!!!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Garden Peas, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Garden Peas

Garden Peas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    Chick #5 fully recovered and is picture of perfect health :) #5 is the darker of the two chicks in the Easter photo shoot babies. (#6 is the one with white wings)

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    So happy for you!

-Kathy

3. Garden Peas

Sep 23, 2014
    Thanks - and thanks for the help, I was pretty worried about the little guy for the first week. So glad he came around :-D

4. barkerg

barkerg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2015
    Salado, Texas
    Good deal, Ive got a few days until the first hatches. Very nice peas you got for sure. Gerald Barker

5. Garden Peas

Sep 23, 2014
    Definitely the cutest baby picture yet [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But I cannot take credit for hatching it... one more is pipped, another is chirping, and momma is waaayy to hacked off to let me look any farther [​IMG]

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Congrats!

-Kathy

7. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    Makara, Wellington, NZ
    Wowie! Babies! [​IMG] So excited!

How's late arrival #10 doing?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  8. Garden Peas

Sep 23, 2014
    Woohoo! [​IMG] Momma finally moved off the nest area chasing her first chick this morning -- she hatched two more chicks overnight. There's only one real egg left (the others in the photos are ceramic duds). I didn't get a chance to check the other egg yesterday, so no clue whether it has a chick or not. I think the oldest chick found the chick waterer this morning -- he was next to it, may have been drinking, but don't have perfect resolution on the webcam, lol. Wasn't expecting to use it for this, exactly [​IMG] I probably need to clean dust of the lens, too. If it gets warm enough this afternoon, I'll try to take photos with cell phone (if momma will let me [​IMG]) -- right now it's only 60 degrees in the coop, so she's working pretty hard to keep them covered up. She doesn't have them all "trained" yet -- but since these are her first chicks, I have to say she's doing amazingly well with them.

The rest of the peas are somewhat mystified and irritated at having been summarily banned from the coop [​IMG] I figure momma needs some bonding time and a chance to calm down. She was feeling pretty stressed yesterday with the other birds trying to see what was going on. The big peas will just have to get over it.

As for house peababies, Chick #10 is doing fine. Chick #10 merged into the raft of sibling chicks -- #7 thru #10 are indistinguishable at this point except for one lighter, pied-ish looking chick... I can't tell the other three apart in the brooder. Plus #5 & #6 are in there with them. They all sleep snuggled up together. Chicks #1-4 are all getting along okay in the other brooder. The three younger ones were pretty intimidated by Mikey at first, and poor Mikey hadn't had other chicks around until they joined him, so it was a bit of an adjustment process. But since there were three of them, he was outnumbered, and even though he was still bigger, they are close enough in size now that it all worked out okay.

Sigh. There are still eggs in the incubator, and the little hen was forced to lay an egg outdoors last evening (I didn't even think about that!!). So not exactly an end in sight. I keep thinking she's done. She's barely two, so this whole going broody thing hasn't really hit her yet. I may have to collect up the ceramic eggs and try to convince her to nest or something. [​IMG]

9. Garden Peas

Sep 23, 2014
    Here's the three chicks -- very hard to see in a still photo, easier when they are shooting around -- the oldest one is already trying to fly [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Garden Peas

Sep 23, 2014
    Hey, how are those eggs coming?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by