Peacock blood feathers

NH603

In the Brooder
May 23, 2017
My white India Blue was attacked by a dog. He lost all of his tail feathers and most of his flying feathers from his wings. He looks rough, but his behavior seems normal. He is bleeding from the broken tail feathers intermittently. It clots, then he starts to bleed again. Should I try to pull these broken feathers? Or will they clot and heal on their own? I don’t want to hurt him anymore, but if it saves his life.... Not sure what to do.

I found lots of information about pulling small feathers on much smaller birds. The peacock tail feather is about the diameter of a drinking straw. I just want to make sure this is the right thing to do before a try it. There is almost nothing online regarding peacocks. Thank you so much for the reply.

I found lots of information about pulling small feathers on much smaller birds. The peacock tail feather is about the diameter of a drinking straw. I just want to make sure this is the right thing to do before a try it. There is almost nothing online regarding peacocks. Thank you so much for the reply.

Same goes for all birds, it doesn’t matter how big the feathers are.
Pull them out with strong tweezers, hemostat, or needlenose pliers, after the feathers are pulled out, put some cornstarch on the affected area to help the blood clot, and use a piece of sterile gauze to apply pressure to the feather follicle until the bleeding has stopped.
keep her clean, apply some disinfectant around her tail area and keep her confined away from the others, if you’re uncomfortable pulling them out, take her to the vets ASAP.

Last edited:
Thank you. I tossed a towel over his head and plucked out 8 bloody broken tail feathers. I used pliers. He still has another 8 or so broken feathers but I left them alone because they were not bleeding. I figured he has been through enough trauma for today. Should I try to pull the remaining ones? Or will they fall out or regrow on their own. Either way, he is no longer bleeding, so I will let him rest for a few days. Thank you again for the advice, I would hate to lose such a nice bird.

Thank you. I tossed a towel over his head and plucked out 8 bloody broken tail feathers. I used pliers. He still has another 8 or so broken feathers but I left them alone because they were not bleeding. I figured he has been through enough trauma for today. Should I try to pull the remaining ones? Or will they fall out or regrow on their own. Either way, he is no longer bleeding, so I will let him rest for a few days. Thank you again for the advice, I would hate to lose such a nice bird.

No need to pull them off if they aren’t bleeding.
:)
Hopefully he recovers well.

Back
Top Bottom