1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peacocks Breeding Turkeys?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by fowlmamma, May 14, 2010.

1. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Love is blind.... my wood duck was guarding my Broad breasted Choc turkey hen from the tom!

[​IMG]

2. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh my Gosh that is so cute!

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

AWWWWWWWW...... get um duckie !!! He likes well rounded women......

Last edited: May 15, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  4. deensgirl

deensgirl New Egg

May 31, 2013
    Mine do the same thing. I have 2 peacocks and no peahens. The cocks strut, wiggle and fan their feathers, and "side wind" toward my turkey hens and sometimes even my chicken hens. It would be an interesting creature to see. ;)

5. Penny Hen

Penny Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Goodlettsville, TN
    Well the courting rituals of the two birds are similar enough that a breeding might take place. Question is are genetics close enough to "zip up"? Anyone know how many chromosomes each have?

6. Iggys Acres

Iggys Acres Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    Texas
    Found an article that says toms have 76 while hens have 77 chromosomes! http://www.biolbull.org/content/61/2/157.full.pdf
    And compare them to ducks, so keep your woodduck away from the turkey, lmao!

Saw one link say peacocks have 44, but it wasn't a science page and found no proof to back it up?

Pheasants appear to be high 70's and low 80's which isn't a peacock a pheasant species? And finally, one article said a pheasant x chicken hybrid had 78 chromosomes...

Edit: Just found this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebird_hybrids
    Interesting read and photos, I want the silver-laced pheasant/chicken!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  7. Penny Hen

Penny Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Goodlettsville, TN
    I have seen turkey toms that were imprinted on humans have no interest in turkey hens or chickens or any bird but be totally into peoples feet. I am betting that if you hatched out some turkeys and pea chicks together and raised them like that from the beginning that you could get them to try it.

8. Koeyohte

Koeyohte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2012
    I do know someone who has a bird that supposedly is a peafowl/turkey mix. But it's sterile, for some reason. If it breeds with her other turkeys and peafowl, nothing ever hatches.

9. Momhunter

Momhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    Texas
    It might be like a mule, the donkey and horse chromosomes are close enough to produce the hybrid but they are then sterile. It would be interesting to see some though.

10. Novaleigh

Novaleigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2012
    Queen Creek, AZ
    I would like to know the answer to this. Why? Because we had some peacock (no idea where he came from) fly down from the skies to woo our turkey girl Lucy (bourbon red turkey). I was wondering if those two would actually pair up and create fertile eggs (we have no tom turkey).

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by