Peacocks Breeding Turkeys?

Love is blind.... my wood duck was guarding my Broad breasted Choc turkey hen from the tom!

28596_pics_ofnewpen_006.jpg

Mine do the same thing. I have 2 peacocks and no peahens. The cocks strut, wiggle and fan their feathers, and "side wind" toward my turkey hens and sometimes even my chicken hens. It would be an interesting creature to see. ;)

Well the courting rituals of the two birds are similar enough that a breeding might take place. Question is are genetics close enough to "zip up"? Anyone know how many chromosomes each have?

Found an article that says toms have 76 while hens have 77 chromosomes! http://www.biolbull.org/content/61/2/157.full.pdf
And compare them to ducks, so keep your woodduck away from the turkey, lmao!

Saw one link say peacocks have 44, but it wasn't a science page and found no proof to back it up?

Pheasants appear to be high 70's and low 80's which isn't a peacock a pheasant species? And finally, one article said a pheasant x chicken hybrid had 78 chromosomes...

Edit: Just found this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebird_hybrids
Interesting read and photos, I want the silver-laced pheasant/chicken!

Last edited:
I have seen turkey toms that were imprinted on humans have no interest in turkey hens or chickens or any bird but be totally into peoples feet. I am betting that if you hatched out some turkeys and pea chicks together and raised them like that from the beginning that you could get them to try it.

I do know someone who has a bird that supposedly is a peafowl/turkey mix. But it's sterile, for some reason. If it breeds with her other turkeys and peafowl, nothing ever hatches.

It might be like a mule, the donkey and horse chromosomes are close enough to produce the hybrid but they are then sterile. It would be interesting to see some though.

I would like to know the answer to this. Why? Because we had some peacock (no idea where he came from) fly down from the skies to woo our turkey girl Lucy (bourbon red turkey). I was wondering if those two would actually pair up and create fertile eggs (we have no tom turkey).

Back
Top Bottom