Peafowl egg swap anyone?

Was reading another 1245 page swap here on BYC that is ongoing now,,,in that swapfest they swap DVD'S,,coupons,ect. The rules in that swap limits new members to only a few swaps per week,with everyone whos been a member longer than 3 months able to make 4 swaps per week total I think.Seems some members has a list of items they intend to swap too.The rules also allows new hatchlings but must be shipped before 4 days old.In that swap someone offers what they have,first person to say reply "mine" get those items but then must post their item up for swap,,seems if your not close to a computer many miss out on things they like or would swap for because some swappers may post their item,and within a minute or few someone else takes them up on it. I'm not much for turning this into a garage cleaning swap,,rather keep it to eggs or newly hatched chicks-ducks-turkeys-pheasants-and peacocks only.
Another swap here had a list of members who did not follow thru and send items they were supposed to so they were banned from the swap.With the Postal service being so erratic and soon going to stop Saturday delivery of mail we should consider if the swap runs all week,all item traded for that week must be shipped the next Monday or Tuesday with tracking confirmation,,otherwise banning would occur until proof the eggs-birds was shipped is confirmed.I don't forsee much of a problem if all swappers must insure any trading done that week requires them to produce the eggs,or hatch the chicks out so shipment can be done the next week on a Monday or Tuesday,,no exceptions,

Why don't we just start a thread of who has what to swap and go from there? Then everybody can decide themselves on how many eggs they want to swap and work out the details with each other. I agree with FBC on not turning it into a "garage cleaning swap".

Kuntrygirl, you can check to see at least if your eggs are fertilized by cracking them open and looking for a Bullseye in the yolk, just as in chicken eggs. I'm thinking somewhere on the lines of making this a "peachick hatched" as well as egg swap.. Of course live peachicks are not the same risk, so trading-swapping for live peachicks does have major benefits. A few has mentioned all they have is IB eggs, or smaller flock numbers. We all see members the peafowl forum here and say how they would love to have some eggs, or would like to start with just a few. Three years ago I would have jumped thru hoops for IB eggs

Okay got word from moderator Flockmaster with the BYC disclaimer that must be included.Also all swaps must be put in the Social section-Chickenstocks shows-meet-ups forum.I was hoping to keep this Swap here amongst our group where peafowl are truly our main focus.But maybe before we set it up in that area of BYC,we all can contribute to the rules of the swap to keep it on track with the main objective of getting more people into peas and the inner satisfaction of helping others.
Everything needs guidelines to stay on course.With peafowl everyones flocks begins laying eggs at diffrent times of the spring so some southern breeders may already be getting fertile eggs.In my area it will be another month based on last year. Last March we had temps in the 80's already this time last year tho.
Things we should also consider
1)is distances between swappers. we all know shipped pea eggs don't handle long distances well
2)what should be allowed in this swap? my thoughts are EGGS-a)peafowl
b)turkeys
c)chickens
d)pheasants and ornamental pheasants
e)ducks-geese-swans
f) LIVE CHICKS of all the above
3) To prevent swappers from not following thru on shipping,I've read many swap rules and many require tracking cnfirmation once item has been shipped. Each week the swap ends all items from swappers that week must be shipped on Monday-Tuesday of the new week,If the person who is recieving the items does not get tracking information by Tuesday evening,that swapper is banned for that week because of not following thru by set rules.If your eggs-chicks are not yet laid or not yet hatched you should not offer them for that week,you must be able to produce what is to be shipped by Monday morning-shipping day of the new week.

Should we ask each person who wants to be in the swap to submit a list of what they can offer upfront?Do they also include what they are looking for on this list? Do we limit the number of swaps per week per person? I don't know about others here but I rarely frequent any other parts of BYC so moving out of the Peafowl Forum confines here will expose us to many other BYC members we're not familiar with or know personally.Everyone knows the value of pea eggs and if someone was to continue to swap all week long to get eggs and then not deliver on their end it could turn out to be very good for them in a weeks time.

Shipping cost be paid in full by the owner of each swap that is being sent out? including box cost? Eggs ship cheaper than live chicks,I just gor 15 New Hampshire Red day old chicks from KathyinMo yesterday and they came in a small box and the shipping was over $30,very high considering the lite weight-small size of the box imho.

If everyone is required to make a list of what they are willing to swap,,do we then have all swappers tell us on each Sunday nite what they will be swapping that upcoming week,then just compose a list and post for that week and first come,first swap? Or do it one swap at a time posted in the forum,and the swapping does not go on until that swap is completed? Doing it this way would require you to be close to a computer all day long so not to miss a particular swap you may have interst in.

Should it be limited to only those that are on the list that want to be in the swap,or leave it wide open to everyone? I wonder about BYC members who may not come here to this part but then see the swap and decide they want to get some pea eggs.If they have not joined the swap members list are they allowed to then join,or not at all?

Do we set minimums for swapping? Like if someone has 4 IB Peafowl eggs to swap,,another swapper must at least have 1 dozen of chicken eggs,or 6 turkey eggs to be eligible for that swap? Do the swaps take place between both parties,or the person claiming the swap must then post an item for the next swap and it continues in that fashion?

Disclaimer on shipped eggs? We here all know how hard shipping can be on pea eggs.What if the postal serice decides to play football with a box of shipped eggs and the receiver of those eggs opens a box of scrambled eggs? It's neither persons fault yet what is fair? Same with live chicks if they get left out in extreme heat too long.

Who wants to be overseer of this? And what have I missed?

Last edited:
For consideration:

1. This swap thread is related to peafowl. One side of each swap must be peafowl eggs or chicks. (ADD FBC(2) ABOVE).
2. Poster shall list what they have to offer and what they are interested in. Peafowl swap items MUST be made available to this swap for at least one week. Delete the post or availability when the item is no longer available. ADD FBC weekly requirements from (3) above.
3. Final terms of each swap must be listed in the forum.
4. Shipping shall be the responsibility of the person shipping the items. Confirmation of ship date must be posted by the shipper. Confirmation of receipt and condition shall be posted by both parties.
5. Parties are limited to two swaps per week.
6. All the standard BYC terms.

I don't think we should have minimums or restrict eggs for chicks or the type of swap.

Back
Top Bottom