Peanut allergic child and chicken feed

SRhenpen

Hatching
May 7, 2016
Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum and chickens in general. We're getting our coop this week and our chickens next weekend. My son has a SEVERE peanut allergy and I'm trying to find feed that has no cross contamination so he can be involved in the care of the hens. If I can't find feed I could make it. It's just finding corn etc that hasn't been cross contaminated with peanuts. I've researched online and I'm having a hard time coming up with a plan for feeding the hens so they get they're full amount of required nutrients while our son stays safe and involved. Any input to help me out here would be great! Thanks in advance!!

I think you're probably going to have to avoid big name brands like Purina and look to smaller companies. I doubt the big companies can track their sources that closely. Call the feed companies up and see if you can find someone who knows in great detail the source if their ingredients.

You can make your own, but you'd be in the same boat... Verifying the source/processing of those ingredients. Making your own COMPLETE feed is much harder than it seems at first glance and the cost will be much higher.

You might look into the fodder methods. I don't know much about it, but I know some folks feed their chickens exclusively on fodder.

Last suggestion, albeit unconventional, is looking into a homeopathic treatment for your son called NAET. I have a friend who was allergic to garlic (seizures) who really wanted to eat garlic. She had the NAET treatment and now can eat garlic without seizures or other allergic reactions.

I would call several feed companies and talk to them. Emphasize the severity of your problem, and get someone actually involved with the production of the feed, not only a secretary. See what brands are available and fresh at feed stores in your vicinity, and check with them. A local feed mill would be another source, and you should be able to talk to the production people there. Home made is very hard and expensive! Mary

I'm not sure where you are located, but we use Ful -O -pep started feed and it is safe for peanut allergies. Both daughter and I are highly allergic and have had NO reactions. I think the brand is only available in Texas though, but maybe you could find somewhere that would order it for you.

Also FYI often feed stores have raw peanuts out for purchase - we nearly had an issue with one here and now we don't use that store anymore.

Amazing the things we do for our allergy kiddos isn't it :) I have a daughter who is both allergic to peanuts and to oats - both of which tend to be in chicken feed.

SRhenpen, did you ever find a safe feed? My daughter has a peanut allergy. We just started Nutrena with some chicks that we just got but the company just told me there are "peanut hulls" at the plant that manufacture the feed so they can't guarantee. I'm going to look into purchasing another feed. Wondered if you had any luck??

Welcome! You could call all the feed companies, and your local feed mills. Ask to speak to someone who actually does the feed and/ or buys the ingredients, not only to the person who answers the phone. Get something in writing if possible. Good luck! Mary

Back
Top Bottom