pear tree pollination fruiting to flowering

angeleyes1307

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 4, 2011
My husband and I decided to raise some fruit trees and so I asked my him to stop by and pick up two pear trees of different varieties as he has the truck. He was more than willing to do so, but I forgot to specify they both had to be fruiting pear trees. He picked up a semi-dwarf moonglow pear and a cleveland select callery pear. Now the cleveland select seems pretty enough, and the reason I wanted two was not as much for the quantity of fruit but to ensure pollination. So my questions are first of all and most importantly - will it cross pollinate or is it too different a variety?
Secondly and also importantly, is it the kind of tree I do not want near my gardens or chickens or children for any reason?

You should get pollination with your choices. The pears are not toxic like cherry can be to some birds but the bark is quite soft so if there is a chance that they could get scratched or pecked at resulting in rot. It would be a benefit to put one of those hard plastic sheaths on the trunk.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom