Pecked Chicken - Serious Injury (Pictures Included)

Straywolfmakuyi

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 19, 2011
I have three chickens (all Silver Laced Wyandottes), and they are almost six months old. Yesterday, I returned home from running errands and went outside to check on them. I noticed one of them had a wound on its back. At first I didn't think it was too serious, but then I got closer to her and lifted her wing. To my horror I discovered that the wound was actually rather serious. I immediately took the injured chicken away from the other two and put it on my back porch (it has high railing and a gate on it). I noticed that the three chickens had been pecking each other the past week or so (probably because they are molting), but I broke them up whenever I saw them doing that. I don't know how or when the injury occurred, especially since the wounded chicken was still roaming the yard and acting perfectly normal. It was only when I placed it on the deck did I notice how bad the wound really was and the fact that the chicken was limping around (and still is). She has been able to drink water and eat food (pellets) just fine, and she was kept inside the house last night. I know the wound needs to be cleaned and taken care of, but I am unsure of how to do this. Any help, tips, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1000294t.jpg

Here is a top view of the wound.

1000292s.jpg

Here is a closer view of the wound.

1000293pj.jpg

Here I've moved her wing slightly. That seems to be the extent of the wound.

I am not a first-time chicken owner, considering I had three Rhode Island Reds for two years. Unfortunately one was pecked to death on its head last spring and the other two were killed by a wild animal last fall. I would hate to have a fourth chicken die in a year, but I am unable to take her to a vet.

Thanks again,

Cat

Hi -

I would give her a soak in a sink full of warm water and diluted betadine (about the color of weak tea). That is my favorite treatment as the betadine soak gets to hidden injuries under the feathers, plus they seem to really relax and enjoy the bath - just make sure she gets completely dry afterward. I usually towel dry and then put under a lamp. I also use Vetericyn, which comes in a spray bottle, for a couple of days afterward. I find that if I use Neosporin or any other cream/ointment, either the feathers stick to the wound or the wound gets really dirty when they dust bathe. I also keep them inside for a day or two until a good scab forms over the wound.

My goose attacked and tore up one of my BR and she healed beautifuly, you will be surprised how well a chicken can heal.
smile.png

@Sjisty - Thank you for the tip! And I will keep her inside and away from the other chickens until the wound heals. I have also purchased Rooster Booster Pick No More, and hopefully they won't try to peck her after she is able to go outside again.

I agree with Sjisty suggestions, but I would also put her in a crate, or small pen separate from the other hens, but where they can see each other for a while every day so that they don't think she is a new hen when you return her to the coop and attack her again.

@allieloveschickens - Yes, we've been keeping her in a cage on the deck during the day (when we're here). She's able to see the other chickens and they're able to see her too.

if you search on this forum for "wounds" you'll find lots of great advice on step-by-step care. That's a pretty deep wound and you'll need to make sure she does not get maggots or an infection. Please let us know how she does.

Back
Top Bottom