Pecking Behavior

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rachealx4, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Rachealx4

Rachealx4 Songster

Mar 11, 2018
    East Central Missouri
    My BO chicks are about 3-4 weeks old. Is it normal for a chick to continuously peck at your nails even if they aren't long? What about pecking/ biting at your arm where there are no sores, freckles, bandaids, etc and drawing blood?
    I have a couple that do this. It's not a huge deal, I'm just wondering if I need to do something different.
    Pictures of some of my crew just to show them off 20180319_105517.jpg 20180319_105524.jpg

Crazy for Chickens! likes this.
  2. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    They may be deficient in something. Do you have grit for them?
    Also, try picking some some little green grass, if you have any, grinding I to small bits, and lettynbg them eat it. It really good for them, plus they love it! Small bugs they love, too.
    But, I've had some do hat before. Now, I don't think I would Lt them draw blood, but they are probably just curious.

Rachealx4 likes this.
  3. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Pecking can be obsessive compulsive. It can become a habit. You can break this habit by giving the chick a sharp, but not too hard, poke on the back with your finger each time it engages in the behavior. Chicks respond quickly to this discipline because it's how a broody hen keeps her chicks in line.

rosemarythyme and Rachealx4 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: