Pecking Behavior

Rachealx4

Songster
Mar 11, 2018
East Central Missouri
My BO chicks are about 3-4 weeks old. Is it normal for a chick to continuously peck at your nails even if they aren't long? What about pecking/ biting at your arm where there are no sores, freckles, bandaids, etc and drawing blood?
I have a couple that do this. It's not a huge deal, I'm just wondering if I need to do something different.
Pictures of some of my crew just to show them off 20180319_105517.jpg 20180319_105524.jpg

Pecking can be obsessive compulsive. It can become a habit. You can break this habit by giving the chick a sharp, but not too hard, poke on the back with your finger each time it engages in the behavior. Chicks respond quickly to this discipline because it's how a broody hen keeps her chicks in line.

They may be deficient in something. Do you have grit for them?
Also, try picking some some little green grass, if you have any, grinding I to small bits, and lettynbg them eat it. It really good for them, plus they love it! Small bugs they love, too.
But, I've had some do hat before. Now, I don't think I would Lt them draw blood, but they are probably just curious.

Back
Top Bottom