Pecking order concerns...

Pauli Girl

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
I volunteer for a company that gives courses on organic gardening. They also have a chicken coop with seven chickens, one is a 10 month old white bandum who is the low girl in the flock. Recently she is being picked on more than normal and is hiding in a nest box for protection from the other chickens. The only time she eats and drinks is when I take and protect her. Should I insist on they letting me remove her and to relocate her to another home? I hate seeing this sweet little thing hurt.

thanks,
pauli girl

Could you not take her home? If I was you I would get her some anti-peck spray and put some Vaseline on her comb (to stop other hens getting grip of it) and put more things in the coop to entertain the higher girls. If that doesn't work then you should ask if you can have her/rehome her. Or ask if you can remove the bully girls then re-introduce them back into the flock but If they all bully her I doubt that will work.

Thanks Johnn,
I checked on my little girl today and still hiding. I brought her some food and at first didn't eat then gobbled it down. After removing her to the blueberry patch for some sunshine and scratching she did come back to life. I spoke to my supervisor about taking her home and he will consider it. Meanwhile, all I can do is feed her away from the other girls, hold her and hopefully boost her confidence.

Your support is much appreciated,
Pauli Girl

Thanks Johnn,
I checked on my little girl today and still hiding. I brought her some food and at first didn't eat then gobbled it down. After removing her to the blueberry patch for some sunshine and scratching she did come back to life. I spoke to my supervisor about taking her home and he will consider it. Meanwhile, all I can do is feed her away from the other girls, hold her and hopefully boost her confidence.

Your support is much appreciated,
Pauli Girl
Really hope they let you have her!

Last edited:
I do wish she was just broody. Unfortunately she has been picked on since the beginning. As my supervision has told me there will always be a pecking order and she is on the bottom. Yes, the other hens peck at her and pull feathers. She has held her own for several months but something may have happen that I didn't see because now she retreat and seems to give up the battle of fighting them for food and nesting boxes.

I appreciate your comment very much,
Pauli Girl

Back
Top Bottom