pecking problem

hoppingchicks

Songster
Apr 1, 2020
norflok,england
I recently got 5 new chickens and I noticed one had its tail missing, about a week later one of the original hens started having her tail pecked out, i noted that was only one of the hens doing the pecking, is there any way to stop this thankyou hoppingchicks

You might need to separate the offender.

But a HUGE amount of space, a HUGE amount of things to do, as well as multiple feeders and waterers will help.

Do act quickly, since a little pecking can quickly escalate into full on cannibalism.
thanks, I will try separating her - hoppingchicks

Pinless peepers on your offending hen may manage her behavior, although she may need to wear them permanently. Also, diet can be an issue; if they are being fed a 16% protein diet, change to 20% protein and see if it helps.
Extra space and more things to do helps too.
Some birds are just obnoxious feather picking beasts, and need to be gone. I'm curious, what breeds are these birds?
Mary

Pinless peepers on your offending hen may manage her behavior, although she may need to wear them permanently. Also, diet can be an issue; if they are being fed a 16% protein diet, change to 20% protein and see if it helps.
Some birds are just obnoxious feather picking beasts, and need to be gone. I'm curious, what breeds are these birds?
Mary
the one that is doing the pecking is a devon blue, all of the chickens I have are different breeds the cockerel is a Dorking (the one on my photo) -hoppingchicks

Mary
How long do you think the pinless peepers should be on the chickens. We have such a problem. 6 chickens and 4 have really been demolished with their feathers. We put the glasses on them today but I am wondering how long they need to be on. I hated doing it but it is that or get rid of them. Thanks in advance for advice.

I've never used them, so no direct experience here. I would guess at least a couple of weeks, but it's only a guess.
Try looking at some of these other threads, or start one just about the pinless peepers.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom