In search for more information I found that there are 2 kind of Gull breeds;

https://dier-en-natuur.infonu.nl/di...nger-meeuw-en-oost-friese-meeuw.html#karakter

Important (translated with google):
The Groninger gull and the East Frisian gull are two breeds of fowl that are very similar to each other. In fact, the similarities are so great that in fact only the eye color, tail range and weight differ between the two breeds. Descriptions are provided for both breeds throughout this article. Where there are differences, this will be discussed per topic in a separate sub-heading.

ps. This info is about the large breed.
I didn't realize that there are two kinds of gulls... you learn something new every day!!

@abpatchy in the Netherlands you can buy bantam Auracana (approx 700g for hens) . For size these EE/Auracana would fit in perfect. They lay tiny eggs with small yolks.
I believe they are not pure bred because they come with and without tail and lay mostly green but also other greenish eggs. Another Dutch visitor in this thread called them EE. And explained yo me why. The breeders never say/sell easter egger (or paaseierenlegger) in the Netherlands.

You are right about looking for a breeder in the ‘neighbourhood’. 👍. But I don’t mind if its 50 km away. In the Netherlands, its quit common to buy and sell on marktplaats.nl and it has proven to be easy go find a breeder or give away a rooster surplus to someone not too far away. I don’t mind if the eggs are not from purebred chickens. I don’t want them for shows.

For roosters sake I was even thinking about buying Sebrights. I like the golden type and they say the roosters don’t make a lot of noise. But they lay just a few eggs. Less then half the amount of eggs as a the RIR/ gull, Amrock and NewHmp.

Special about the gull is that they have brown eyes and they say they lay very well. The size is perfect too. But I wonder about their character. Some say they need lots of space and are skittish, not tame and other say they are friendly easy to tame? There are a few breeders in my province so buying eggs probably is no problem.

@chickengr a house with land in the country sounds great. 🏡 Where is it? Do you still have family over there?

We only have a house with a garden that is certainly not big enough for farming. And veggies don’t grow wel with all the chickens, wild pigeons, other birds and wild animals. Charming though. Yesterday evening I saw a hedgehog 🦔 just outside the run.

My husband and I are thinking of buying a small family house/ ruïne with land too. But not in NL. Land and houses are way too expensive here. No more then 500 km from here. To grow trees and for holidays.
The searching stopped when Corona started. And now we even think (dream) about immigrating to New Zealand 🇳🇿. But this probably will never happen. 😂

a 700g araucana hen is bantam. LF araucana hen is around 1600 g.

I bought land about 90 km from where I live now. not a big change.

I would not think about immigrating anywhere now. I believe very soon we shall not be able to travel abroad. if anything happens you would be stuck faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away.

Today I was in a park where they have the Groninger Gulls. Not the bantam size. They seemed very relaxed.

Just for sharing:

D5A898FA-98FF-4EB9-B686-B7D1FAF9D5EF.jpeg

3F2974E5-AB99-4998-B3F2-812BDCD83D0F.jpeg

Those are very pretty birds. Never seen them before.

So after months, I finally got one egg today from my Light Sussex hen. I have no idea what was up with her. I can rule out a moult but maybe there is some sort of hormonal moult, that doesn't involve feather letting. I'm not getting my hopes up too soon though, it could be just a one off egg.

anyone raising turkeys for xmas?
Unfortunately no...I don't have the space for turkeys. I would love to have some geese and turkeys. My neighbor raised a goose for me with hers. For that I had to help her when she was out ot town plus one bag of oates. I think that was a good deal.
Maybe one day.... Are you raising turkeys?

I have just got 3 males. this is my first time ever I have them. may god help me to deal with them. people say they are more difficult to raise than chickens.

No room for turkeys here either. Although I know a couple of people in the village, who do buy, ducks, turkeys and geese as young birds from a commercial poultry farm to raise for food. My friend keeps geese and ganders, so eggs would be no problem....but we are not going there...:lau

The First of my own egg chicks hatched today, on day 20. Which was a big surprise for me, because I only put them into lockdown yesterday morning. Betty Boop my pure Light Sussex hen is now laying regularly once again. 🥳 My May hens are now 20 weeks old, so should start laying any day now. Just in time for my Christmas Eggnog!! Then I will have 5 chickens a laying....

Nice!!! Maybe it's the new incubator? Mine always start hatching on day 20... sometimes even late 19!
Eggs laid by your own chickens is just something wonderful! Hopefully I won't ever have to buy from a store again!
Last Friday I sold 7 hens that were not for breeding. I thought I would feel it in the amount of eggs. But I still get about 10 eggs a day. I have enough to sell them which is nice. A little money for feed.

Geese, duck,s, turkeys and chickens.... I'd have it all. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom