Just found out that there are almost 22000 animals registered for the show in Erfurt. Wow!!! All the exhibition halls are filled. I was wowed when I heard 13000 before the dead line...But 22000!!!
Now I am even more nerveous!!! I am counting the days... Today in 7 weeks... the judging will be over and I am driving up there to see the results and my birds. On Saturday we'll have a discussion about every single bird... the good and the bad. What to look for. It's going to be soooo exciting! :wee :wee :wee

@BDutch what happened to your hen? Have you found her? Seen her?
No, she never returned. I still don't have a clue what might have happened.
I know free ranging is always a risk. All together she had a happy life for over 6 years, not having to live in confinement all the time. So I have peace with it. And becoming 6½ years of age is not bad at all for a chicken.

Yesterday evening two other chickens were missing after sunset. I counted only 5 chickens on the roosts and couldn’t find these 2 anywhere. I was afraid something happened again. I was quit relieved 😅 they both where in the run this morning. Probably slept in the run somewhere (too many hiding places):idunno.

More news: I got a reply from a member of the Groninger gull association (vereniging). He says the bantam Groninger Gull are friendly, easy to handle, don't flee if you stay calm and can be picked up easily. And he didn’t say that to sell eggs or chicks. He told me he moved recently and doesn’t have any chickens at the moment.

Just found out that there are almost 22000 animals registered for the show in Erfurt. Wow!!! All the exhibition halls are filled. I was wowed when I heard 13000 before the dead line...But 22000!!!
Now I am even more nerveous!!! I am counting the days... Today in 7 weeks... the judging will be over and I am driving up there to see the results and my birds. On Saturday we'll have a discussion about every single bird... the good and the bad. What to look for. It's going to be soooo exciting! :wee :wee :wee
In the Netherlands all larger gatherings are cancelled because of the second wave. We went back to working at home if possible. Max 3 people to visit. Pubs and restaurants have to close at 21.00. Strongly advised to wear masks in shops, public buildings and high schools now too.

So all of my own eggs hatched, and it is the first time I got a 100% hatch, so yes this Borotto incubator is much better than the Bruja 3000A I had been using. I guess with a fan the eggs are more evenly baked and the turning is different. Now that Betty Boop in laying regularly, I will probably be putting her eggs in with the shipped ones, when they arrive. I have not yet had any chicks from her.

So all of my own eggs hatched, and it is the first time I got a 100% hatch, so yes this Borotto incubator is much better than the Bruja 3000A I had been using. I guess with a fan the eggs are more evenly baked and the turning is different. Now that Betty Boop in laying regularly, I will probably be putting her eggs in with the shipped ones, when they arrive. I have not yet had any chicks from her.
Great 🎉 congrats.
Its not only the incubator that counts. Don’t forget about a good rooster and the way you store the gathered eggs.

Hey!!! Way to go!! Congratulations!!!

I think I know now the reason of the disappearance of my small bantam chicken.

Today I saw a real big buzzard in the sky searching for food. My chickens were safe in the run (covered with cat netting). pff.

I think its best to keep the chickens locked up for another week to keep them safe. Glad I have a good sized run for them with lots of hiding places.

Back
Top Bottom