I posted that in May Hatch a long, but reposting here as well. Congratulations to my first time broody Leghorn, who hatched 3 out of 3 eggs on day 19 and 20. 2 of the chicks are already out and around in the nest.
@BDutch thank you for offering to find a Lakenvelder breeder. My Dutch friend found one on marketplaatz and had a conversation with the seller and everything sounded perfect until just two hours ago the seller sent a message that he is not willing to post to Bulgaria. I think the name of the seller is wijnand. So I guess I need another seller who is willing to post to Bulgaria.
I wrote an e-mail to the Lakenvelder and Vorwerk club in the Netherlands, asked if there is someone who would sell and ship eggs. Maybe I need you’re telephone number or e-mail adress in a response. If they respond I let you know in a pm.

today I saw this guy from the kitchen window, I went out to sent him away and now I'm scared. I'm going to keep the girls in the run for the coming days, it wouldn't be safe let them free range. I see a lot of foxes with the trail camera, but they usually come at night, when chickens are safe in their coop. this one was hunting in broad daylight!
View attachment 2651427
Be careful. Especially if they have young foxes. They can be very cheeky.

today I saw this guy from the kitchen window, I went out to sent him away and now I'm scared. I'm going to keep the girls in the run for the coming days, it wouldn't be safe let them free range. I see a lot of foxes with the trail camera, but they usually come at night, when chickens are safe in their coop. this one was hunting in broad daylight!
View attachment 2651427
It's the time of the year when they have their young. They are hunting all the time... including daytime. It would be safe to keep your chickens in the run for the next weeks. They are cute and beautiful... but please... stay away from my chickens.!!!
I saw a post on facebook the other day... somebody had to keep their chickens in lockdown for a while... they finally got to go outside when 2 days later the fox killed all but 2. And that is the bad part. A fox will kill all he can get his hands on and hide it for later.

true, they can kill the entire flock (especially in my case, since I just have 8 chickens!) driven by instinct. I'm going to keep them safe for a while and I'll chek the area with the trail camera, at least I can keep an eye on the critters roaming around my coop.

Last edited:
View attachment 2651427

I have hopefully solved the fox problem by hanging a small portable radio in the area where chickens go to forage. No casualties since then. I just need to be careful to check occasionally if the flock has moved elsewhere (and to pick up the radio after closing the birds in). It helps that the only close neighbors are fairly old, don't hear well and are not bothered by the noise.

Otherwise, hello guys, I'm in Croatia, I've been coming to this forum occasionally in the last few years, but only found this topic today.

I have hopefully solved the fox problem by hanging a small portable radio in the area where chickens go to forage. No casualties since then. I just need to be careful to check occasionally if the flock has moved elsewhere. It helps that the only close neighbors are fairly old, don't hear well and are not bothered by the noise.

Otherwise, hello guys, I'm in Croatia, I've been coming to this forum occasionally in the last few years, but only found this topic today.
Welcome to this thread Kiawaka.
What kind of chickens or other poultry do you have?

Welcome to this thread Kiawaka.
What kind of chickens or other poultry do you have?

Thanks! At the moment I have silver and blue laced Wyandottes, speckled Sussex, and some young frizzles and silver pencilled brahmas in the brooder right now. Some cross-breeds too. Hope to get some silkies soon.

For a small country we actually have quite a lot of breeds available here, but me being me, I want what is not available (such as millefleur, Polish frizzle, Sebright, Barnevelder, English crested araucana and Isabel brahmas). So I've often thought about ordering eggs from other EU countries, but not sure if that would work.

My question for all, have you been successfully ordering eggs from other countries, and if yes, which pages and which delivery service did you use?

Back
Top Bottom