So these are the first 8 of my F1 generation, almost a month old. I love this age. They look like mini chickens! 😂

P1010432.JPG

Our wyandotte hen hatched 3 out of the 5 eggs. Not too bad! They are lively and mom is very protective of her babies.
A 4th she broke open herself, it looks like, because the chick was dead with the yolk not taken into the stomach, and the shell was far away from the nest. The 5th was all black when I candled it, not even an air sac visible, so that one seems to have died earlier on.
IMG-20210818-WA0002.jpg

Last edited:
Oof.... The "teenagers" just scared the living daylights outta me! :barnie

It's 1 at night and I hear sudden SCREAMING from the coop! I'm sure a fox or some other predator must've gotten into the pen, they're making such a ruckus. So I go out there in the rain, in my pyjamas, heart about to beat out of my chest...
Not a thing is amiss! But half the flock of teens is sitting huddled on the floor, so definitely something scared them and sent them into a panic. I'm guessing either a mouse in their coop, one of them jumping off the perch, or a branch falling off a tree must've done it, because I could find nothing else that was any reason for concern! All 15 teenagers, our 4 adults, and momma and the 3 babies are accounted for and safe, albeit all a little shaken.
Crisis averted. Now let's hope I can get some sleep!!

It's 1 at night and I hear sudden SCREAMING from the coop! I'm sure a fox or some other predator must've gotten into the pen, they're making such a ruckus. So I go out there in the rain, in my pyjamas, heart about to beat out of my chest...
Not a thing is amiss! But half the flock of teens is sitting huddled on the floor, so definitely something scared them and sent them into a panic. I'm guessing either a mouse in their coop, one of them jumping off the perch, or a branch falling off a tree must've done it, because I could find nothing else that was any reason for concern! All 15 teenagers, our 4 adults, and momma and the 3 babies are accounted for and safe, albeit all a little shaken.
👍 Maybe lucky, maybe an excellent fort Knox?
But do check the safety of you’re coop. If it was a predator it might return. In the night it could be some kind of marter too. No holes in the wires? Not possible to dig underneath?

It must have been something.... or could have been nothing. But it sure can scare the living daylights out of you!!! Hope it was nothing!

do you know where and when the poultry exibition take place in bulgaria?
There hasn't been one for two years. The federation is hoping to organise one in the fall. Dates and location still unknown. They will let me know if/what they decide.
I apologize for not being online so much. I have 4 mamas, each in a separate cage, protected from the cats.. and another hen going broody today.

A couple of days ago I found the first egg of my young hens. One of them has started to lay. At first I wasn't sure but I do believe it's the noisy one. :D
I tried to reduce the feed and feed a little more wheat this year...obviously it didn't work... she was 21 weeks and 2 days when she laid her first egg. Today I put in a nestbox for her... hope she will use it. It's still 2.5 months until the first show... hope the others are taking their time.

Attachments

• 238769575_4229025593853335_96996373318011587_n.jpg
    238769575_4229025593853335_96996373318011587_n.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 2
A couple of days ago I found the first egg of my young hens. One of them has started to lay. At first I wasn't sure but I do believe it's the noisy one. :D
I tried to reduce the feed and feed a little more wheat this year...obviously it didn't work... she was 21 weeks and 2 days when she laid her first egg. Today I put in a nestbox for her... hope she will use it. It's still 2.5 months until the first show... hope the others are taking their time.
Congrats! A big egg for a first one, isnt it?
I don’t understand you’re concern s as bout the age. 21 weeks is quit normal for a first egg as far as I know.

Back
Top Bottom