This morning when I went to the chickens.. all my birds in the rooster pen had been stolen. I called the police... the thieves hat cut a hole in the chainlink fence and then just took them. It's not locked just closed. I doubt that I will see them again or that they will find the person responsible for this. I did notice a black Mercedes lurking in front of the club house... he drove off very slowly and even backed up once... I didn't see the license plate. But I had a bad felling then. I am so mad, sad and everything in between!
That is horrific! I am furious on your behalf! :mad:

Oh my gosh, that is terrible. People stealing chickens for a quick meal on the country side is pretty bad, but stealing pedigree poultry with the Bundesring... shocking. I bet they weren't breeders, otherwise they would have known better. Those birds are traceable. I am so sorry this happened to you.

This morning when I went to the chickens.. all my birds in the rooster pen had been stolen. I called the police... the thieves hat cut a hole in the chainlink fence and then just took them. It's not locked just closed. I doubt that I will see them again or that they will find the person responsible for this. I did notice a black Mercedes lurking in front of the club house... he drove off very slowly and even backed up once... I didn't see the license plate. But I had a bad felling then. I am so mad, sad and everything in between!
Very sorry! Are all your chickens gone now or the baby chicks still left?

Oh my gosh, that is terrible. People stealing chickens for a quick meal on the country side is pretty bad, but stealing pedigree poultry with the Bundesring... shocking. I bet they weren't breeders, otherwise they would have known better. Those birds are traceable. I am so sorry this happened to you.
Not really traceable.... I mean all I need are tool and I can cut them off. There is no proof that those birds ever wore a ring. None.
It has happened a lot lately (relatively) that breeders had their birds stolen. It's sickening!

Very sorry! Are all your chickens gone now or the baby chicks still left?

No, not all. They took my yellow breeding group, 3 hens and one rooster.. and my big boy... one of the first chicks I ever hatched and two hens which I did not use for breeding. So 5 hens and 2 roosters. I still have my red, blue and green breeders as they were in the coop which is locked. The rooster pens were not locked.... I just never expected someone to do that. I have a chain and lock to close off my lot and the front gate of the club is locked as well.
But I am sure if I didn't lock the coop they would have taken them as well. I did notice that they opened the dove cote and did not close it again like I do. They were looking for more birds.
I still have the chicks... more eggs in the incubator and another batch waiting to go in in a week. At least that!

Some years ago, some people broke into the house of a chicken friend and not only took all the rare breeds out of his yard, but also two incubators with chicks (La Flèche) that were in the act of hatching.

He called the police and went to the flea markets/animal markets held around his region the next weekend and there they were selling off his chicks and even his incubators. Sadly, the adult chickens were already sold off, but he recovered a few of the La Flèche chicks and the incubators and got some of the thiefs arrested.

Maybe put up game cameras that alert you on your mobile.

@abpatchy could you:
check your (if you have a local country) eBay to see if anyone is selling the same breed there? Also check for hatching eggs.
Inform the breeding club so in case a new member turns up or someone starts asking many questions about the breed they are alert.
Do you have poultry markets in the country? We do and I would start visiting them to check if the thief is not trying to sell the birds.
Start checking online for new pictures of the breed. It is possible that the new owner start showing off and posts some pictures on Facebook, Instagram, etc.
Interesting what did the police say/do?

Some years ago, some people broke into the house of a chicken friend and not only took all the rare breeds out of his yard, but also two incubators with chicks (La Flèche) that were in the act of hatching.

He called the police and went to the flea markets/animal markets held around his region the next weekend and there they were selling off his chicks and even his incubators. Sadly, the adult chickens were already sold off, but he recovered a few of the La Flèche chicks and the incubators and got some of the thiefs arrested.

Oh man!!! Horrible!!!
There are no markets around here. And thank you @BDutch for the suggestions. I am checking all the local online adds. I have done it all. There is only one bird that I could clearly identify if they took the rings off.

Thank you all for your suggestions and concerns! I do appreciate it! :hugs

Unbelievable! I am really raging! So glad he got at least some of his birds back and the thieves got what they had coming, but still! I'm a pretty friendly person and it takes A LOT to get me really angry, but this just makes my blood boil and makes me want to scratch their eyes out :mad:

Is this someone everyone deals with? In all my plans for future chickens I've only looked at keeping predators and pests out, never thought I'd have to deal with keeping my future chickens safe from people!

Back
Top Bottom