Oh man!!! Horrible!!!
There are no markets around here. And thank you @BDutch for the suggestions. I am checking all the local online adds. I have done it all. There is only one bird that I could clearly identify if they took the rings off.

Thank you all for your suggestions and concerns! I do appreciate it! :hugs
Thanks for the credits I don’t deserve. 🤣🤔. You probably mean Lafleche or Maiahr?

I noticed a strange thing now Corona isn’t such a big issue anymore. It seams criminals (stealing scum) started to pick up their nasty habits more often after a few years of less breaking in. In my neighbourhood a few cars are heavily damaged to steal dashboard’s , navies, airbags, and steering weels.

I have some sad news again about the avian flew. Yesterday they cleared a chicken farm with 48.000 chicks and young pullets. If I had a commercial business. I was obliged to test my chickens because it’s < 3 km away. For me this means I really can’t risk to let my chickens free range now.

Edited : deleted double txt.

Last edited:
Unbelievable! I am really raging! So glad he got at least some of his birds back and the thieves got what they had coming, but still! I'm a pretty friendly person and it takes A LOT to get me really angry, but this just makes my blood boil and makes me want to scratch their eyes out :mad:

Is this someone everyone deals with? In all my plans for future chickens I've only looked at keeping predators and pests out, never thought I'd have to deal with keeping my future chickens safe from people!
I don’t think it happens often that they steal chickens from back yards in the Netherlands. There are more known cases with special post doves. And rabbits, often a week before Xmass.

I found 1 article from last year about a chicken thief that got caught because the owner had a camera. https://www.politie.nl/nieuws/2021/juni/17/04-kip-ik-heb-je.html
And one more about a children’s farm with chickens in 2020. :
https://rijswijk.tv/dieven-stelen-17-kippen-bij-kinderboederij-ze-hebben-onze-familie-gestolen/

Of course its possible criminals do steal chickens in the Netherlands more often, but newspapers don’t find it worthy to publish it?

People sometimes think a human was stealing all poultry after finding an empty coop in the morning. But after given a description, others concluded it was probably a fox who did this.

Thanks for the credits I don’t deserve. 🤣🤔. You probably mean Lafleche or Maiahr?

I noticed a strange thing now Corona isn’t such a big issue anymore. It seams criminals (stealing scum) started to pick up their nasty habits more often after a few years of less breaking in. In my neighbourhood a few cars are heavily damaged to steal dashboard’s , navies, airbags, and steering weels.

I have some sad news again about the avian flew. Yesterday they cleared a chicken farm with chicks and young pullets with 48.000 chicks and young pullets. If I had a commercial business. I was obliged to test my chickens because it’s < 3 km away. For me this means I really can’t risk to let my chickens free range now.
You are correct! I am sorry! The thanks go to @Maiahr

Just wanted to show this picture of one of my chicks. I think it is sooo stinking cute!
Even though it screams "I'm a rooster" it is definitly a girl.

274538282_501880531289741_966883353977548319_n.jpg

I have some sad news again about the avian flew. Yesterday they cleared a chicken farm with chicks and young pullets with 48.000 chicks and young pullets. If I had a commercial business. I was obliged to test my chickens because it’s < 3 km away. For me this means I really can’t risk to let my chickens free range now.
The avian flu is terrifying to me too. I don't have my own chickens but I know a lot of people who do and a few weeks ago animal control found 4 dead swans in a pasture in our area. It was bird flu. There aren't any chicken farms near us I think, we mostly have hobby people and zorgboerderijen. But it's scary to think wild animals have died a stone's throw from people I know.

I'm in Groningen btw, where are you @BDutch ?

I don’t think it happens often that they steal chickens from back yards in the Netherlands. There are more known cases with special post doves. And rabbits, often a week before Xmass.

I found 1 article from last year about a chicken thief that got caught because the owner had a camera. https://www.politie.nl/nieuws/2021/juni/17/04-kip-ik-heb-je.html
And one more about a children’s farm with chickens in 2020. :
https://rijswijk.tv/dieven-stelen-17-kippen-bij-kinderboederij-ze-hebben-onze-familie-gestolen/

Of course its possible criminals do steal chickens in the Netherlands more often, but newspapers don’t find it worthy to publish it?

People sometimes think a human was stealing all poultry after finding an empty coop in the morning. But after given a description, others concluded it was probably a fox who did this.
That's at least a little reassuring for me, thanks :)

I am so sorry to hear that the bird flu is so close to you! It must be very scary.

Not chicken related topic, but was wondering if it is true. On the news here they say all European countries have increased the hotel/hostel/rooms to rent prices as they are expecting Ukrainian refugees. On the contrary more than 200 Bulgarian families have opened their homes/flats/rooms for free to accommodate Ukrainian women and children. Don't know how much truth there is that...

And a chicken news - after being without electricity for more than 24 hours, I discovered only 1 egg in the incubator has died. I did put a thick blanket on the top of the incubator, but the room was cold (we did not have heating as well).

The avian flu is terrifying to me too. I don't have my own chickens but I know a lot of people who do and a few weeks ago animal control found 4 dead swans in a pasture in our area. It was bird flu. There aren't any chicken farms near us I think, we mostly have hobby people and zorgboerderijen. But it's scary to think wild animals have died a stone's throw from people I know.

I'm in Groningen btw, where are you @BDutch ?
In Wageningen.

Back
Top Bottom