He or she would be a millionair! Who wouldn't love a quiet rooster? :D
I have a friend who breeds Sulmtaler in white and Faverolles. She has roosters in the runs around the house as well. Usually about two or so. Since she doesn't want to have issues with the neighbors she takes the roosters at night and sits them in a cage in a toolshed. It is closed up and the roosters can't be heard as loud. After they get used to it they actually accept it. They know they get to go back with their hens in the morning. Sometimes even going into the shed by themselves. I don't know if something like that is possible for you... but it might be an option until you have some chicks. And who knows... he might not be a crower in the first place.

He or she would be a millionair! Who wouldn't love a quiet rooster? :D
I have a friend who breeds Sulmtaler in white and Faverolles. She has roosters in the runs around the house as well. Usually about two or so. Since she doesn't want to have issues with the neighbors she takes the roosters at night and sits them in a cage in a toolshed. It is closed up and the roosters can't be heard as loud. After they get used to it they actually accept it. They know they get to go back with their hens in the morning. Sometimes even going into the shed by themselves. I don't know if something like that is possible for you... but it might be an option until you have some chicks. And who knows... he might not be a crower in the first place.

I've thought about doing it with *some* of the boys. Right now I'm working with four boys. One is likely to get butchered. Ideally, no male would be crowing at 5 in the morning, but I'm not even trying to catch Kolovos. Big Red and Lady Gaga are way easier to catch, because I can simply pick them up:p

I’ve never done the killing bit, done the cleaning with geese, pheasants, ducks and chickens but it’s the killing bit I have no experience in. The thought of it kinda scares me but I’m sure I could although hubby wouldn’t eat it if he saw it alive 😂
Weather here is 28 today.
Im a very happy bunny as it’s the first time I’ve been out my wheelchair in a week 🥳 I am an amputee and got sores 😠. Got to pace myself so I will spend all day cleaning the hen house 😆 😆 😃
Hugz

I’ve never done the killing bit, done the cleaning with geese, pheasants, ducks and chickens but it’s the killing bit I have no experience in. The thought of it kinda scares me but I’m sure I could although hubby wouldn’t eat it if he saw it alive 😂
Weather here is 28 today.
Im a very happy bunny as it’s the first time I’ve been out my wheelchair in a week 🥳 I am an amputee and got sores 😠. Got to pace myself so I will spend all day cleaning the hen house 😆 😆 😃
Hugz

I've got to do Easter preparation cleaning too. I've yet to kill myself, I round the boys up and send them to an acquaintance who butchers them for me

Glad you're feeling good today. So far, seems like a gorgeous Saturday for all!

Since she doesn't want to have issues with the neighbors she takes the roosters at night and sits them in a cage in a toolshed. It is closed up and the roosters can't be heard as loud. After they get used to it they actually accept it. They know they get to go back with their hens in the morning. Sometimes even going into the shed by themselves. I don't know if something like that is possible for you... but it might be an option until you have some chicks. And who knows... he might not be a crower in the first place.
I’ve been discussing a similar solution with my husband. Its a possibility to keep him in the large nestbox/mini coop overnight where he sleeps now with his mothers. I have a roost for that mini-coop. And I could add some sound isolation to the ceiling muffle the crow a bit.

If I pick him up from the roost as soon as he starts to roost with the adults he probably won’t know any better.

silkie roos are not very loud.
Not my piece of cake. Silkies are looking weird and I don’t want chickens that sleep and poop in a nestbox.

Im a very happy bunny as it’s the first time I’ve been out my wheelchair in a week 🥳
Glad you're feeling good today. So far, seems like a gorgeous Saturday for all!
⬆️ ditto!
Hope we all can enjoy many more nice days with good outdoor weather this upcoming summer. The weather in NL is great too today. 🌞

Back
Top Bottom