Pics
Dutch stop laying in winter. The young ones for a month or 2. Older Dutch for about 4 months.

I also have 2 Doornikse kriel (Millefleur de Tournaisis). One stopped end of november but the other one is laying all winter. I know there are more small breeds that continue laying.

I agree with you altogh it is legal( for me) most of my neighbours wil think i am murdering a pet if they could see. They can not i als do it in secret
I agree with you. Judging by the reactions by some people on some german chicken forums, it's the smart thing to do. Unless you know your neighbor and you know they support you on butchering.

Hi and thanks for info. Yes we have kleinetier verein I’ve bought some of my chickens from them at their yearly chicken shows. I was not sure how to join or what they do. I’ve talked to some about sick chickens and they told me about the garlic. Guess I’ll have to ask them about the rest. I always wondered where they get the vaccinations since some are vaccinated.
Have you thought about joining your local fowl association? They are probably called something like östreicher kleintier verein or geflügel verein or hühner verein.. I know the German one; but they probably have them in Austria too. They often have local branches where members meet monthly; they can tell you where you can find a vet or medicine etc. They often also have a vet that comes over yearly to do all the vaccines at a meeting; etc.

Good luck.

Hi yes we have some kleintier vereins here. I bought some of my
chickens from thier yearly shows. I never thought of joining. I always thought it was for farmers with huge flocks. But I have talked to them about sick chickens they told me to use garlic. But I didn’t ask them about vets or vaccinations but I did wonder where they got the vaccinations since most of theirs are vaccinated.

Have you thought about joining your local fowl association? They are probably called something like östreicher kleintier verein or geflügel verein or hühner verein.. I know the German one; but they probably have them in Austria too. They often have local branches where members meet monthly; they can tell you where you can find a vet or medicine etc. They often also have a vet that comes over yearly to do all the vaccines at a meeting; etc.

Good luck.

D92B9014-2985-44B3-BB9F-11B81D22BB3D.png
C109576F-C615-44F1-981F-4F0B7704DA07.png
I do use garlic and acv but never thought to soak the garlic in acv, great idea. Also I never heard to use Vick vapo. The vet rx smells a lot of Vick’s. I’ve attached some pictures of the vet rx

I have a chicken savvy vet. And she said when the chickens have a cold to basically treat them like humans. Vapo Rub on their perch... thyme tea... anything natural. In addition to the acv in their water I also give them garlic and ginger (which I soak in the acv). There have been no worms or any other problems. And garlic and ginger is a good natural antibiotic and immune boost.

What exactly is in the vet rx?

Hi and thanks for info. Yes we have kleinetier verein I’ve bought some of my chickens from them at their yearly chicken shows. I was not sure how to join or what they do. I’ve talked to some about sick chickens and they told me about the garlic. Guess I’ll have to ask them about the rest. I always wondered where they get the vaccinations since some are vaccinated.

I'm not sure about the Austrian vereins; but the Dutch, Belgian and German ones offer yearly free/or smal fee vaccinations-days for members. (yearly membership is usely around 50 euro's). Since all are connected to the bigger EE association; I guess they all kind of offer the same things. Have the same guidelines. But I guess it also changes from local verein to another. In my local one everyone is 70+ and noone uses internet.. so I actually had to visit their meetings to learn about those vaccine-programs and their (and then mine) personal vet. They don't have a website and even joining was done by sending a letter heehee. (That reminds me; I have to go call the leader on his landline when the next meeting is haha) Getting information and their great knowledge of 60+ years breeding animals can take some more effort then "just a mouse-click away". :p

If it is the same as here; fowl vets are hard to find; the ones that excist often only come over if you have over 200+ chickens for your egg/meat business.. they work for proffesionals. That's why these vereins hold these days. Or some vaccines they get send from a vet by mail and give to the members to administer themselves. It's worth it though. I eventually have found a fowl vet nearby.. the same vaccine costed 124 euro more due to the money you have to pay for the vet's her time.. through that verein it was 1 euro per animal :p

I spontanously forgot the English word for verein. Sorry. Association?

Hi yes we have some kleintier vereins here. I bought some of my
chickens from thier yearly shows. I never thought of joining. I always thought it was for farmers with huge flocks. But I have talked to them about sick chickens they told me to use garlic. But I didn’t ask them about vets or vaccinations but I did wonder where they got the vaccinations since most of theirs are vaccinated.

I am a member of our local Geflügelzuchtverein (poultry breeding club). I even have a plot of 400 square meters to keep my chickens. To become a member you just contact them... you can find the info online and who the head is... or you contact one of the members. The information is out there. Some of our members don't breed.. they are just members. But they get their immunizations thru the Verein. I pay 10cents per chicken. You just fill out a form, pay your fee and that's it.
As far as I know you don't have to have your chickens immunized in Austria though.

Funny you say that about them not using the internet, because I always have to search for these chicken shows they have. It’s never online and no website. Makes sense they probably don’t use the internet. I’m always looking for signs hanging around because that’s how they advertise thier chicken shows. You will just see a flier hanging on some random wall. And I always enjoy going and looking at the chickens. I also didn’t even realize verein was association. I just always called it verein. I never looked up what it meant in English

I'm not sure about the Austrian vereins; but the Dutch, Belgian and German ones offer yearly free/or smal fee vaccinations-days for members. (yearly membership is usely around 50 euro's). Since all are connected to the bigger EE association; I guess they all kind of offer the same things. Have the same guidelines. But I guess it also changes from local verein to another. In my local one everyone is 70+ and noone uses internet.. so I actually had to visit their meetings to learn about those vaccine-programs and their (and then mine) personal vet. They don't have a website and even joining was done by sending a letter heehee. (That reminds me; I have to go call the leader on his landline when the next meeting is haha) Getting information and their great knowledge of 60+ years breeding animals can take some more effort then "just a mouse-click away". :p

If it is the same as here; fowl vets are hard to find; the ones that excist often only come over if you have over 200+ chickens for your egg/meat business.. they work for proffesionals. That's why these vereins hold these days. Or some vaccines they get send from a vet by mail and give to the members to administer themselves. It's worth it though. I eventually have found a fowl vet nearby.. the same vaccine costed 124 euro more due to the money you have to pay for the vet's her time.. through that verein it was 1 euro per animal :p

I spontanously forgot the English word for verein. Sorry. Association?

Back
Top Bottom