Pics
Off Topic......
I never really realized it before, but I must say how impressed I am with the command of the English language that the members (in this thread) have shown. I have been here in Germany for 26 years now (plus another 5 years with the US Army) and though I have a command of the speaking and reading of German, my writing skills are not on the same level (much to the dismay of my wife). So I complement each of you on your skill!

Now, a quick poll......with Britex on the way, what should the official language of Europe be?

God help me if it's French 😱... I am terrible at it. Hope they will just keep it as it is French and English, German would be ok too...lol

@chickengr I'm sorry to hear about your hen. Would have been cool to have araucana chicks. Sad it didn't work out.

My eggs are on the 6th day but think I'll candle them on the 10th, when I can see the development better. I feel like I'm watching grass grow...lol

well... I don't think it would change just because of Brexit. English has become such a common language worldwide. I cannot imagine it would change.
I Agree. At least for Europe.

It would make things so mu easyer if everyone learns English as a second language without having to bother about other languages like French, Spanish or German. IMO: English should be thought to children from young age on and a lot better then I have learned on high school.

And thanks for the compliment @Papa John59 .But I find my English only reasonable. With the spelling checker snd Google translate I learn on the job. One of the reasons I am on BYC is to improve my English writing. So don’t be afraid to correct me if I make a mistake or use a strange word to express myself.

Probably you can find more info on the internet. I researched on egg production wanting to try another bantam breed. I have no experience with other breeds. But I do remember silkies lay all winter.

If you like to have egg all year you can add a few hours of light in your coop in the morning. On a reliable source (levende have) they claim that adding extra hemp seeds in autumn/winter stimulates to lay eggs in winter too.

Do you mean vaccination against Marek?
In my opinion it is better to have a healthy flock without having to vaccinate. But I understand you need to vaccinate if you get new birds in you're flock from unreliable breeders.

Having a small flock without Marek, I want to keep it that way. I didn’t buy chicks/ chickens because of this when I wanted another breed. I bought fertile eggs and let my Dutch breed and hatch them.
Probably you can find more info on the internet. I researched on egg production wanting to try another bantam breed. I have no experience with other breeds. But I do remember silkies lay all winter.

If you like to have egg all year you can add a few hours of light in your coop in the morning. On a reliable source (levende have) they claim that adding extra hemp seeds in autumn/winter stimulates to lay eggs in winter too.

In my opinion it is better to have a healthy flock without having to vaccinate. But I understand you need to vaccinate if you get new birds in you're flock from unreliable breeders.

Having a small flock without Marek, I want to keep it that way. I didn’t buy chicks/ chickens because of this when I wanted another breed. I bought fertile eggs and let my Dutch breed and hatch them.

did you buy champion show winners? I had no idea chickens could even be that expensive!
i went to a chicken show where a lady had show silkies and she was selling 1 hen for around 100-200 euros. Then I wanted to buy a bantam Cochin and this guy wanted 150
For 1. I said no thank you. But yes they can be expensive for certain breeds and people who breed show chickens.

Off Topic......
I never really realized it before, but I must say how impressed I am with the command of the English language that the members (in this thread) have shown. I have been here in Germany for 26 years now (plus another 5 years with the US Army) and though I have a command of the speaking and reading of German, my writing skills are not on the same level (much to the dismay of my wife). So I complement each of you on your skill!

Now, a quick poll......with Britex on the way, what should the official language of Europe be?
I was thinking the same thing. I’ve been in Austria for 10 plus and I still get lost with all the different accents here and reading and writing I’m horrible. I use a translator to help my son with his German homework still.

Back
Top Bottom