fresh herbs contain a lot of water. they are much stronger if dried and boiled.

fresh nettle contains 17% proteins and dried 40%!
Something dried can not be compared to fresh like that. Chickens drink less if it is fresh, with water in it. If you add the extra water they need the amount of vitamines/ grams will be less than 40% proteins. But its a good way to use herbs for autumn/winter. Best way to keep vitamines in after harvesting is to freeze the herbs.

Hi everyone, I haven't checked in, in a while (notifiations are non existant for this thread here on BYC apparently.) Anyway I have been rather busy fixing stuff around the house lately, and there has been nothing really new, except, five of my young chickens have suddenly dissappeared. Really don't know where they went, because there is no sign of them, not even feathers. But probably a predator took them. C'est la vie, here in the countryside. As soon as I slaughter the old rooster, I will probably start incubating again. But I've got more pressing things to take care of before I get around to chopping heads.

I have a door bell that wasn't broken, but all the platstic had disintegrated on the buttons, and when I had a look in the back at the transformer it was pretty rusted out, so I decided to replace the whole thing. I sure am glad I can do all this crap myself. Was also a good reason to finally buy a wire tester. Yeah! I did have the schrewdriver thingy, but this is a non contact tester, so really cool.

My kitchen tap also broke so my DD's boyfriend replaced it for me, with a newer better one I bought. And my post box has been out of order a while now....yup I leave things until they really start annoying me...lol. So the new one still has to go up, and I might start that project today.

The weather here is now is stabilizing, but there will be no signs of gettting anywhere near last summer's temperatures. My sweet corn and brassicas are loving it though, and I will be harvesting the first potatoes soon...

Over and out from Erika in Süd Baden,
Have a great Sunday!
How nasty loosing that many chicks.

Once upon a time I had a chick that disappeared too. It was a 6 weeks old chick who could go through a 5cm grid fence. (Saw her sister doing this a day later). So she probably escaped and was taken by a neighbour cat or another predator.

A year later I had 8 chicks. One disappeared and I found one dead in the coop. Checking the fence I found a hole. Fixed it of course. Watching carefully I saw a rat 🐀 who must have been the predator. I cleared the bushes behind the coop too. Problem was solved.

Actually I counted 6 young ones this morning, so only four have disappeared. Still sucks though. I am really fighting an uphill battle, trying to get enough hens. I'm pretty sure all the brown ones are hens though, because I've never had a brown rooster from this cross. Had a couple white roosters but never a brown one. So the brown passes only to the daughters, but I've also had hens with the columbian white and black from their dad. But all roosters I have hatched have been white columbian....I have often mistakingly marked a hen as a rooster, and only when I saw her daddy tidbitting at her, I knew she was a hen! ...lol The chickens always know....

Something dried can not be compared to fresh like that. Chickens drink less if it is fresh, with water in it. If you add the extra water they need the amount of vitamines/ grams will be less than 40% proteins. But its a good way to use herbs for autumn/winter. Best way to keep vitamines in after harvesting is to freeze the herbs.

in this case (thyme+basil+oregano) it is to treat cocci only. I agree that fresh greens are better to feed them.

Ok ladies, (@abpatchy @Erba) I must confess. After @BDutch nominated me and I was awarded, I thought "Why aren't these two awardees? They are more deserving than I am" When I came onto the scene here, you two were the chatter-boxes of the group, keeping the thread alive and interesting with your knowledge. So it is only fitting that you share in the glory! Congrats to the two of you!

Ok ladies, (@abpatchy @Erba) I must confess. After @BDutch nominated me and I was awarded, I thought "Why aren't these two awardees? They are more deserving than I am" When I came onto the scene here, you two were the chatter-boxes of the group, keeping the thread alive and interesting with your knowledge. So it is only fitting that you share in the glory! Congrats to the two of you!

I totally agree with you.

Thank you!!! That is really sweet of you to say and do!!!! 🥰
I really appreciate that!!!!

Back
Top Bottom