Things are happening in the mama nesting box. We hooked up a baby monitor in there. So yesterday evening we sat watching and saw at least 4 chicks.
This morning my husband counted 8 chicks. And he took a picture with 8 chicks.

We put food and water just outside the nesting box, so the hen can reach it from where she lays, because I have a feeling that the eggs are hatching over 3 days. Not ideal with hatching over so long time but someone snuck in and layed some more eggs.
20210420_070410.jpg

Things are happening in the mama nesting box. We hooked up a baby monitor in there. So yesterday evening we sat watching and saw at least 4 chicks.

We put food and water just outside the nesting box, so the hen can reach it from where she lays, because I have a feeling that the eggs are hatching over 3 days. Not ideal with hatching over so long time but someone snuck in and layed some more eggs.
View attachment 2626135
Congratulations!!!!

Yes they have hatched. I took them out of the incubator this morning. 44... maybe more... I have 2 that are not doing well... but they are freshly hatched. I will have to see if they survive.
But I also had to cull one. It had webbed feet with an extra toe... as well as deformed toes. And it looked like some sort of growth on the nose... but when you look close it actually looked like it was open. It didn't want to stand much.... It was sad... poor little guy. Now I am worried that there is some sort of issues gentically. Mothers and father is not related... well, maybe down the road somewhere... but it was my new rooster. So no close relationship. The hatch rate of that group was not as good as with the others.
chicfeet.jpg

Attachments

• chickfeet2.jpg
    chickfeet2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 5
  • chicknose.jpg
    chicknose.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

View attachment 2626135
Congrats Imse. 💕
I cross my fingers the late eggs will go well too. Have you thought about buying a small incubator and keep the chicks apart? (And handle them a lot to get tame chickens)

Yes they have hatched. I took them out of the incubator this morning. 44... maybe more... I have 2 that are not doing well... but they are freshly hatched. I will have to see if they survive.
But I also had to cull one. It had webbed feet with an extra toe... as well as deformed toes. And it looked like some sort of growth on the nose... but when you look close it actually looked like it was open. It didn't want to stand much.... It was sad... poor little guy. Now I am worried that there is some sort of issues gentically. Mothers and father is not related... well, maybe down the road somewhere... but it was my new rooster. So no close relationship. The hatch rate of that group was not as good as with the others.
View attachment 2626150
42 congrats so far!
🎈 🎈 🎈 🎈 🎈 🎈
🎈 🎈 🎈 🎈 🎈 🎈 🎈
🎈 🎈 🎈 🎈 🎈
🎈 🎈 🎈 🎈 🎈 🎈 🎈
🎈 🎈 🎈 🎈 🎈 🎈 🎈
🎈 🎈 🎈 🎈 🎈 🎈 🎈
🎈 🎈 🎈

@abpatchy So sorry to hear about the chick with deformities. If it was just one out 44, it may be just a coincidence. Are all the chicks related?
The breeder I got them from does linebreeding and has been doing it for a long time. I plan on doing it too... it just makes sense. It gives you better birds for show. There is this american game fowl breeder named Kenny Troiano... he breeds that way too.... he has a podcast called "bred to perfection". If you do it right, it is not an issue. But you have to have more breeding groups to avoid problems.
It can happen with 2 parents that are totally unrelated. It happens with humans too sometimes they just don't work well together. So I will have to put that rooster with different hens next year and see.
Here are some happy pictures... because I have 44 happy and healthy chicks.

Attachments

• 175672945_301913024822638_3412208732059908813_n.jpg
    175672945_301913024822638_3412208732059908813_n.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 175677001_359810615468237_3581044646619966265_n.jpg
    175677001_359810615468237_3581044646619966265_n.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom