I have hopefully solved the fox problem by hanging a small portable radio in the area where chickens go to forage. No casualties since then. I just need to be careful to check occasionally if the flock has moved elsewhere (and to pick up the radio after closing the birds in). It helps that the only close neighbors are fairly old, don't hear well and are not bothered by the noise.

Otherwise, hello guys, I'm in Croatia, I've been coming to this forum occasionally in the last few years, but only found this topic today.
welcome, thanks for joining us!
I could try with a small radio: foxes seem very wary here and I thing it could work as a deterrent! my yard is fenced (not predator proof, but make things a little harder for them) and my dog protects the chickens... but with a fox around in the daylight I don't feel totally safe.
I never had experience with shipped eggs, so I can't help about that!

welcome, thanks for joining us!
I could try with a small radio: foxes seem very wary here and I thing it could work as a deterrent! my yard is fenced (not predator proof, but make things a little harder for them) and my dog protects the chickens... but with a fox around in the daylight I don't feel totally safe.
I never had experience with shipped eggs, so I can't help about that!
It could work for a couple of weeks, maybe a few months. Maybe even for years. But I wouldn’t trust it completely.
Most deterrents don’t last a very long time. Predators seem to notice one day that the alarming thing isn’t a real threat. (P.s. not treat 😁)

Last edited:
that's true, but I spend a lot of time in my yard. I work from home and when the weather permits I work at the pc in my yard... sadly it's still too cold outside where I live now, but this means that when predators come around they can often find me there and it would take longer for them learning that the radio means nothing, because on many occasions radio actually means that there are people around!

having said that, when a fox is really hungry nothing like that could stop him/her. I saw a fox jumping among chickens with people and dogs all around, he/she tried to catch one and ran away, but dogs chased her/him and he/she had to leave the chicken and run away.

Welcome @Kiawaki , at some point I will send you a message about shipping eggs. I am not buying from a website, though once I bought on eBay. I rather use friends who live in other EU countries. Can you post pictures of your Wyandottes? I am about to set the incubator with 40 Wyandotte eggs, 20 if each colour - red and silver laced. And I will be setting Silkies on Saturday as well, as my neighbor's young ones just started laying this week.

Thanks Maiahr. Here are some photos. It's raining right now so I'll post what I have on my phone. I'm out of adult blue laced Wyandottes at the moment, but I have their chicks growing, I expressed myself wrongly earlier.
Including photos of a few others of my birds, and some of my favourite crossbreeds. I only keep a couple of each breed I try, because it's only for my own needs, and the flock is already bigger than I planned (of course :) )

broody 2016-6.jpg
insync 2016.jpg
silver1.jpg
brama 4-2017.jpg
seabird.jpg
speckles.jpg
koka 2.jpg
koka 1.jpg

Idk about shipping eggs across Europe, because I try to find them as close to home as I can. That said I've had scrambled eggs even with the German post, which is pretty quick. It really depends on the breeder and how he packs them...like not in a shoe box, as one breeder thought was a good idea. With any sort of shipped egg, if you get 50% to hatch, then you have won the lotterie. I have never made 50% but it's the price you pay for the breed you want and can't get any other way.

Idk about shipping eggs across Europe, because I try to find them as close to home as I can. That said I've had scrambled eggs even with the German post, which is pretty quick. It really depends on the breeder and how he packs them...like not in a shoe box, as one breeder thought was a good idea. With any sort of shipped egg, if you get 50% to hatch, then you have won the lotterie. I have never made 50% but it's the price you pay for the breed you want and can't get any other way.

Yes, same here. The length of the trip doesn't matter as much as how the eggs are packed and treated by delivery workers. Of course, better to buy eggs from people directly, but sometimes what I want is not available close by.

Back
Top Bottom