Thanks for the hug Anna, but what do you mean with rooting?
The adults are all female. But I have to wait a couple of weeks to know if I have cockerels amongst the chicks. If the color of the wings indicates the gender, I have 1 or 2 cockerels. But I can’t find info on sexing young chicks with bantam RIR. So maybe its just a chicken with a lighter color.

can ypu post a photo of your chicks?

Thanks for the hug Anna, but what do you mean with rooting?
The adults are all female. But I have to wait a couple of weeks to know if I have cockerels amongst the chicks. If the color of the wings indicates the gender, I have 1 or 2 cockerels. But I can’t find info on sexing young chicks with bantam RIR. So maybe its just a chicken with a lighter color.
Rooting means ik duim voor je( I thumb for you)

can ypu post a photo of your chicks?

C1A8A626-DB51-4EE8-A02D-34451CF586B8.jpeg
Last week

52550F48-FE74-4038-A7B8-FE7FA687A8A5.jpeg

A few days ago

84A0C07C-B525-47BC-BE52-A8F6D8EF02F8.jpeg

Yesterday

The chicks are doing great. Great chicken TV.

The chicks don’t get under one of the mommy’s wings anymore if they are downstairs. And they stay there for hours now, scratching as thorough for bugs as the adults do. 🤣

They all make a mess of the water bowl within an hour even though I put in on a tile. Time to learn to use the bottle with a nipple.

I was surprised these chicks can’t jump like my other chicks did after a week but not strange bc. the wings are much smaller as the wings of Dutch and Tournaisis chicks. This makes it easy to let them range outside the coop keeping them behind a low fence. Under supervision of course with all the neighborhood cats 🐈 🐈🐈 🐈‍.

Two days ago I opened up the fence between the chick coop and the flock (only 4 hens now). But that didn’t work out wel. The other hens were no problem at all.

But because the mama’s went to the run through the pop door which is about 25 cm above ground level and only one chick could follow. The others tried several times but failed. Then they looked for another way to get to the mothers walking up and down beside the hardware cloth wall and started to peep loud. The mothers went back to the peeps after a while and then the other chick didn’t understand how to return to the coop. Seeing the other chicks through the hardware cloth wall she just wanted to go through the hwc. So finally I went in the coop to grab the chick and I closed the fence again.

719C815E-7A01-46DE-9D58-93060F98FFCF.jpeg
This is the chicken coop I bought 10 years ago for 2 older rabbits. Already with the idea to buy bantams in the future. After they died I bought small bantams bc it was even too small for big bantams.

Since I have chickens (2014) I made a lot of adjustments, a new roof and an extension where the chickens sleep with 2 roosts and a poop board. The old coop is mainly in use for the nest boxes. Now it’s the coop for the 2 mommy’s + chicks.

8CB202CF-F4F7-49BE-8B97-442CB373A0EB.jpeg

Here you see the extension and part of the run. It looks better now after I ‘painted’ it all black with fungi. I love the automatic pop door to the run. This way the chickens are safe in the night and can go outside after sunrise. If I forget to close up the are safe too.
I have a big window for daylight and lots of hardware cloth for ventilation. In winter I close the north and west opening in the roost compartment.

The biggest con: I can’t walk in.

E9555D3C-5B59-4B0F-8458-F7B0DC81F154.jpeg

If I need a new coop I want one like this.

Attachments

• AC035785-612B-4D65-8660-E7BFA195004F.jpeg
    AC035785-612B-4D65-8660-E7BFA195004F.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 3
What kind of coops do you al have?
I have to improve replace my coop next spring and I started to make a planning.
What do you like about your coop and what do you miss?

my coop would not suit you. here I need a small coop for the night only, some shade and run. no snow here. you need a walk in coop with enough room for the winter.

View attachment 2667397This is the chicken coop I bought 10 years ago for 2 older rabbits. Already with the idea to buy bantams in the future. After they died I bought small bantams bc it was even too small for big bantams.

Since I have chickens (2014) I made a lot of adjustments, a new roof and an extension where the chickens sleep with 2 roosts and a poop board. The old coop is mainly in use for the nest boxes. Now it’s the coop for the 2 mommy’s + chicks.

View attachment 2667472
Here you see the extension and part of the run. It looks better now after I ‘painted’ it all black with fungi. I love the automatic pop door to the run. This way the chickens are safe in the night and can go outside after sunrise. If I forget to close up the are safe too.
I have a big window for daylight and lots of hardware cloth for ventilation. In winter I close the north and west opening in the roost compartment.

The biggest con: I can’t walk in.

View attachment 2667412
If I need a new coop I want one like this.
Wouldn't imagine that your broody coop exists 10 years.
Do you have a picture of the inside of the coop? Wondering about your poop boards. Would love a walk in, but then I need more space that I don't have.

Back
Top Bottom