my coop would not suit you. here I need a small coop for the night only, some shade and run. no snow here. you need a walk in coop with enough room for the winter.
Please show me yours. I don't have room for a walk in. 20210513_182516.jpg
This is my current coop.

There are a lot of DIY small coops on youtube, maybe get some ideas there. I got the idea for my coop from a guy who built a coop with the same shed kit on there. He lives in Germany, so I could get the exact shed kit. If you have the tools and can sketch a plan. DIY is the cheapest and nicest way to go. My wood framing just went up 50 cents but still pretty cheap at € 2.90 for a 2m length. Bitumen corrigated roofing is also dirt cheap. But you have to know, or have someone who knows, how to build.

There are a lot of DIY small coops on youtube, maybe get some ideas there. I got the idea for my coop from a guy who built a coop with the same shed kit on there. He lives in Germany, so I could get the exact shed kit. If you have the tools and can sketch a plan. DIY is the cheapest and nicest way to go. My wood framing just went up 50 cents but still pretty cheap at € 2.90 for a 2m length. Bitumen corrigated roofing is also dirt cheap. But you have to know, or have someone who knows, how to build.
I try to gather idea's so I can incorporate them all in a sketch. My building skills are quite good, it wil only take some time.

@AnnaWolf
The problem with the cheap coops you can buy, is that they have not enough ventilation and most of them have a cramped space to roost. This coop was even cramped for 3 tiny Dutch hens and a Dutch rooster. His tail didn’t fit, he roosted on the bar and pooped in the left nest box.

Often the roosts are very low and the bigger coops often have way too many laying nests for heritage breeds. Can be handy to store feed though.

So I you buy an almost ready diy coop you need to make several adjustments to make it work. If you buy a playhouse for kids you have to make adjustments too. If you like to buy cheap : the wooden second hand playhouses on Marktplaats are not expensive and have no mites in it. Never buy a second hand chicken coop from a stranger for that reason.

90C8BB3F-0498-4F87-92C5-AE419E1E0935.jpeg

The original height of the roost was just 5 -7 cm above the coop floor (above towel)

2CFAB905-B96C-4E75-BC31-16740438C3DA.jpeg

557290BE-AB3C-4BBF-88FE-19E6B99A7482.jpeg
I put a old window against the run part of the small run to block the rain and wind from the west. On top is EPDM to avoid leaking into the run. The neighbours cat like to come in the run if the chickens free range. The chickens often use this dry spot for dust bathing.

6583571B-72D3-411F-8ED8-4D5113166FEE.jpeg

This is how it looked like 1 ½ years ago.

The roosts are behind the second old window (now I have another window glass that looks a lot better) . I always used a lot of left overs and second hand materials to make alterations.
The rectangle opening in the back wall is the pop door to the run. It opens and closes with a chicken guard system.

Behind the coop you get a clear picture of the largest run too. I used the frame of a party tent to build it. (3x3m).
Behind the party-run is another run made with wood, small maze chicken wire and cat netting on top.

I will make a few pictures if you want more details.

Last edited:
Today I tried to mingle the broodies, chicks and the ladies of the flock again.
The broodies declare war on the other chickens as soon as they come to near to the chicks.

The chicks could get through the pop door all three without having any problems with it. To go back I put up a few stones.

The mama’s are so happy they have a new world to explore with the chicks.

Today I should work at home but I don’t feel very great (I got my vaccination today) but I can keep an eye on the little reds (sounds almost like rats 🤣)

More pics of my chicks , chickens and my setup. ;
2B386459-803B-48D9-9654-CA283F4979DB.jpeg

the pop door from the outside, I made an extra fence to see if it worked well.
0492B329-7F87-4816-9DA5-5452369A23B2.jpeg

Inside the coop. Here the room divider (before the upside down glowe pot) was closed. On the poop board I put cardbord and hay from cleaning the nest-boxes. On the left is the chicken guard with an old cutting board as pop door. The cardboard box is a temporary laying nest bc the broodies and chicks use their favourite nest-boxes now. And another nestbox in the run is a no go for them.
1D9BFFD8-C936-4396-9194-19F1E84C03F0.jpeg

My laying flock free ranging.

Last edited:
@BDutch I find it difficult to sex LF RIR before they are 2 months old... Weird. But lately I have been testing this method of putting the chick on your lap with legs up and then you see if it folds the legs next to the body or stretches them up. The first would be a girl. Also the loop sexing method... But I cannot do it as I have too many chicks (sadly I lost a Cochin chick, eaten by a cat).
I think is was @AnnaWolf building a new coop? I, same as @chickengr only have a place for them to sleep as they are free range. I have 2 coops (bedrooms), if you are interested I can post pictures.
This is my poop trap - polythene under the roost, which I just swipe every other day. There are holes in the 4 ends of the nylon/polythene and it hangs on hooks which are easily detached to clean.

Attachments

• IMG_20210502_090152.jpg
    IMG_20210502_090152.jpg
    554 KB · Views: 4
..on the topic of shipping eggs, I just received a Lakenvelder omelette. I was surprised how quickly the eggs arrived (Post NL), but really not wrapped well (one thin layer of bubble wrap inside the box). 7 broken (out of 20) and the sender did not wrap each egg individually so the remaining whole eggs were all dirty with yolk and white from the broken ones. I am not sure if I have to wash them prior to putting in the incubator and if yes, when do I wash them - before resting for 24 hours or after (i.e. rest, wash, put in the incubator). Maybe I need ask someone from the USA thread.

Last edited:
..on the topic of shipping eggs, I just received a Lakenvelder omelette. I was surprised how quickly the eggs arrived, but really not wrapped well (one thin layer of bubble wrap inside the box). 7 broken (out of 20) and the sender did not wrap each egg individually so the remaining whole eggs were all dirty with yolk and white from the broken ones. I am not sure if I have to wash them prior to putting in the incubator and if yes, when do I wash them - before resting for 24 hours or after (i.e. rest, wash, put in the incubator). Maybe I need ask someone from the USA thread.
Oh no!!! That sucks!!! I would let them rest and then wash them gently. Good luck with that hatch! You really should remove the yolk. I would use something to desinfect the eggs.. that can be done the same time as you clean them.

Back
Top Bottom