So haven't written for a while, have been busy with other things. @abpatchy It's a real shame, you had no success withn the white Sulmthalers. They are so cool. I am overrun with young chickens now. Some have to go, but are a bit young still, to sell. One young Rooster didn't make the grade, so he's off to freezer camp soon. As soon as the younger hens are mature, I will be getting rid of a few laying hens too, but am waiting to see how the young hens turn out, before I make a decision.

crazy year, I picked strawberries yesterday 😱
20210920_184237.jpg

So haven't written for a while, have been busy with other things. @abpatchy It's a real shame, you had no success withn the white Sulmthalers. They are so cool. I am overrun with young chickens now. Some have to go, but are a bit young still, to sell. One young Rooster didn't make the grade, so he's off to freezer camp soon. As soon as the younger hens are mature, I will be getting rid of a few laying hens too, but am waiting to see how the young hens turn out, before I make a decision.

crazy year, I picked strawberries yesterday 😱View attachment 2841065
Strawberries! Wow! So crazy! Maybe the summer was so cold they thought it was winter. :D
Yes, I will miss my white Sulmtaler for sure! They do have a very elegant look to them. All the hens have a new home. I have two roosters still in the coop. One has a new home. The other we'll see. He might move to a new home or he might be chicken soup.
I had to cull 2 more hens on Friday. They too had eaten lots of dirt and sand. I thought things would look up with them after I had to cull the first one. But... here I go thinking again. When I picked them up the crop was rock hard... and they were so skinny. One of the girls was the one I had promised last year she will have a forever home with me... because she was just so sweet. It was very hard culling her. I just wish I would know why on earth they were eating so much dirt and sand!

I did sign up for the big show in Hannover. I already got my registration confirmation. I also booked a hotel room. While the specialty show for Sulmtaler has been canceled as it was attached to a small local show, I am hopeful Hannover will happen. The small show just could not uphold the covid regulations for that hall. 12 more weeks until Hannover! I am so nervous and excited!

At the moment I am watching the young roosters very closely. One has decided that he might be a good breeder after all. We'll see! I also finally started sorting thru the girls. It's not easy this year.

Good luck with Hannover. And if the show is cancelled anyway, do enjoy the town. It has so many nice things to visit.

My rooster is for sale on Marktplaats (for 2$) . The neighbours told me they wake up too early too. ☹️

4E010D4D-5F87-4490-A94B-0D90E10861FB.jpeg

Free ranging: count the chickens.

@Erba: my chickens discover the strawberries before I did.
E1CCFB98-692F-4FDD-B3A9-850DECC31DBD.jpeg

Hi you all, I haven't been around for a while: my dog died last summer and for me it was harder than what I would have thought: I live alone in the mid-mountain and she was my main company. I'm better now, I'm kinda thinking I don't want another dog, but maybe it's too soon to tell. She was a good guard: I've never lost a single chicken despite all wild predators that live here. My yard isn't predator proof, so I guess I have to improve the security now.
Enough with sadness, here are my two OE chicks now: do you remember them? They were born in April and they look gorgeous to me.
DSC_3268.JPG
DSC_3280.JPG
They turned out to be two females, they haven't laid eggs yet, but I guess it wont' be long: their mother is a Marans and laid her first one when she was six months old.

@BDutch at the beginning my rooster drove me crazy too: when he was young he was singing at all hours and I just couldn't fall back asleep again. He doesn't do that anymore, but I'm not sure when he did stop, he's a year and a half now. Hope you can sell yours and have your quiet again!

Hi you all, I haven't been around for a while: my dog died last summer and for me it was harder than what I would have thought: I live alone in the mid-mountain and she was my main company. I'm better now, I'm kinda thinking I don't want another dog, but maybe it's too soon to tell. She was a good guard: I've never lost a single chicken despite all wild predators that live here. My yard isn't predator proof, so I guess I have to improve the security now.
Enough with sadness, here are my two OE chicks now: do you remember them? They were born in April and they look gorgeous to me. View attachment 2844554View attachment 2844555They turned out to be two females, they haven't laid eggs yet, but I guess it wont' be long: their mother is a Marans and laid her first one when she was six months old.

@BDutch at the beginning my rooster drove me crazy too: when he was young he was singing at all hours and I just couldn't fall back asleep again. He doesn't do that anymore, but I'm not sure when he did stop, he's a year and a half now. Hope you can sell yours and have your quiet again!
They are beautiful! And yes, it shouldn't be much longer before they start laying.
I am sorry that your dog died. You'll know when the time is right to get a new dog. Also for the chickens sake. It would be nice if they had protection in your area.
You make the place you live in sound very interesting!
Thank you for following me in instagram! :thumbsup

Enough with sadness, here are my two OE chicks now: do you remember them? They were born in April and they look gorgeous to me. View attachment 2844554View attachment 2844555They turned out to be two females, they haven't laid eggs yet, but I guess it wont' be long: their mother is a Marans and laid her first one when she was six months old.

sorry for your loss. I lived your story. although I had other 3 dogs when my favourite and first dog ever died I was devastated for years. she was german shepherd. I now have 3 german shepherds but none of them could replace her.

your chickens are beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom