We don't have much experience yet, but the Bielefelders shouldn't go broody... That's why we have the two wyandottes... We don't want broodys all the time so we have mostly the Bielefelders and we will only add other "non broody" breeds for now.

There's a magic thing with chickens you need to be made aware of. This rule says,if you want broodies, you get none, if don't want broodies, you get many. You only have leghorns because you don't want to hatch chicks? Doesn't matter, all your leghorns are broody. Only have roosters? No problem, those go broody as well. Have a flock full of silkies because you want a billion chicks? Nope, ain't no way you're getting that!

I have not had a single broody hen. My Sulmtaler don't want to be bothered by raising chicks. I know they think the old woman has two large incubators why should we bother? I would love a have a broody and have her raise chicks. At least every now and then.
I got a bantam Barnevelder hen recently for company of a single hen. I might be lucky with her.

There's a magic thing with chickens you need to be made aware of. This rule says,if you want broodies, you get none, if don't want broodies, you get many. You only have leghorns because you don't want to hatch chicks? Doesn't matter, all your leghorns are broody. Only have roosters? No problem, those go broody as well. Have a flock full of silkies because you want a billion chicks? Nope, ain't no way you're getting that!
That might actually save us one day :lol:
We already went from "only 4 hens, no roosters, never breed" to "chicken are great, let's get two more to be able to hatch some, the work will be the same after all and it will be great for the kids" to "if there's a real nice rooster hatching we will keep him, so we can hatch more"
Keep in mind, that it's only been half a year since our chicken journey began šŸ¤£

That's exactly what I'm experiencing @abpatchy ! I have been raising chickens for 11 years, not ONE broody. Last year I managed to get a broody from a friend, she broke. I said to myself, "that's fine, next year she'll definitely hatch some chicks" a week later she managed to escape her pen, flew out of the property and before I could get to her some workers working on my neighbors home caught her and drove away. Last year i got a pair of aseel, turns out theyre both males. This year i managed to get three silkie chicks, theyre not doing great and i worry none will survive, one has already passed. The chicken gods must hate me :hit

Don't get me wrong: I love the experience with broody hens, my first one is actually my favourite hen, we really bound while she was broody and I kept her 2 chicks. Since then, I allowed other hens to sit on their eggs and is always magical, also this year I'm going to hatch eggs but having all the ladies angry and not laying for an entire season it's not so funny! šŸ˜…

Oh and I forgot. Two years back I bought ten chicks of a Greek landrace breed, known for going broody. Not one has gone broody so far. This year is the final chance for these, since last year they were only one year olds, so maybe I'll get a surprise from them too

Oh and I forgot. Two years back I bought ten chicks of a Greek landrace breed, known for going broody. Not one has gone broody so far. This year is the final chance for these, since last year they were only one year olds, so maybe I'll get a surprise from them too

Thank you so much. I'm worried though because we're experiencing really cold weather and snow, and one has already passed, meaning I'm left with two, which also might pass since after examining the other one its crop was empty leading me to believe she was sick, and has possibly infected the others. Anyways, hope this is our lucky season and we both get some chicks this year!

oh no... I am sorry you lost one silkie.

I'll be getting chicks. I just have to hatch and breed them myself. I usually hatch about 100 chicks every year. Not sure if I'll hatch that many this year. Prices for feed have gone up.... and immunizing the chicks for Marek's etc has at least doubled.

Back
Top Bottom