PeeWee is sick! UPDATE..FINAL Necropsy Results Page 6

There's a possibility your dealing with a respiratory disease, possibly mycoplasma gallisepticum. If in fact he has worms, they couldve weakened him to the point of compromising his immune system allowing a disease to take ahold. If this is the case, it might be best to have a necropsy performed if and when he dies. Keep him seperated from your other birds and remember biosecurity. Consider getting him started on tylan 50 injectable, 1/4cc injected into the breast muscle once a day for 3 days.

Last edited:
I had considered that possibility as well, Dawg. The only thing that stopped me from giving him any antibiotics at all was the fact that it started out with only one eye. Actually it's still only one eye, no nasal discharge, no funky smells, no coughing, wheezing..nothing that led me to believe anything other than some sort of injury (at first). Then came the paleness, standoffish, and rapid weight loss even though eating normally. That's when I saw 2 little brownish bugs crawling on his skin when I was holding him. And the fact that I'd never wormed them at all. It's obvious right now that the Wazine did nothing to help him. I'm thinking tapeworms are probably the culprit, because he's eating so well and losing weight..feeding his tapeworms is all I'm doing I feel..I don't know.

As far as the Tylan injections..I'll do anything. I'm concerned with the injection part because he is literally skin and bones now. When I hold him that's all I feel..bones. His keel is very sharp and protruding. I'm afraid he may not have much there to inject into. I'll definitely try though.

If and when he dies, I'm definitely going to send him to University of Kentucky for necropsy. I looked it up and I'd have to send him in through a local vet. So I'm going to make those phone calls to find a vet here that will do that for me if and when the time comes. I've got to know what this is..even though it may be after the fact.

I still feel that if I had this dang Valbazen, I could dose him and he'd get his strength back enough for me to get his weight back up and get him over this eye/respiratory thing, whatever it is.

Thanks again for your help!

ETA: Is there a preference as to which side of the breast I should do the injection?

Last edited:
I had considered that possibility as well, Dawg. The only thing that stopped me from giving him any antibiotics at all was the fact that it started out with only one eye. Actually it's still only one eye, no nasal discharge, no funky smells, no coughing, wheezing..nothing that led me to believe anything other than some sort of injury (at first). Then came the paleness, standoffish, and rapid weight loss even though eating normally. That's when I saw 2 little brownish bugs crawling on his skin when I was holding him. And the fact that I'd never wormed them at all. It's obvious right now that the Wazine did nothing to help him. I'm thinking tapeworms are probably the culprit, because he's eating so well and losing weight..feeding his tapeworms is all I'm doing I feel..I don't know.

As far as the Tylan injections..I'll do anything. I'm concerned with the injection part because he is literally skin and bones now. When I hold him that's all I feel..bones. His keel is very sharp and protruding. I'm afraid he may not have much there to inject into. I'll definitely try though.

If and when he dies, I'm definitely going to send him to University of Kentucky for necropsy. I looked it up and I'd have to send him in through a local vet. So I'm going to make those phone calls to find a vet here that will do that for me if and when the time comes. I've got to know what this is..even though it may be after the fact.

I still feel that if I had this dang Valbazen, I could dose him and he'd get his strength back enough for me to get his weight back up and get him over this eye/respiratory thing, whatever it is.

Thanks again for your help!

ETA: Is there a preference as to which side of the breast I should do the injection?

If it were tapeworms, you'd be seeing segments in the feces, as in the above pic. When injecting tylan into the breast, ensure there's no air bubble in the syringe. Inject into the breast tissue just under the skin, no more than 1/8 of an inch. The next day inject into the other side of the breast and so on, not in the same spot. You can give it orally instead of injecting if you wish...1/4cc orally once a day for 5 days. You can dose him up to 7 days orally if there isnt any improvement by the 4th or 5th days, but dont dose him no more than 7 days.

Thanks Dawg. Think I'm going to try the oral route. He's just so thin that I'm worried I'd do something wrong if I did the injection. Glad to know it is an option. I'm going to go check his droppings now to see if I can see anything in them. At quick glance when I check to make sure he's even pooping, they seem normal. Thanks again!

Never have I ever been so happy to see the FedEx man as I was today! PeeWee has had 1/4cc of Valbazen. I will be going to TSC shortly to get the Tylan 50.
fl.gif
he makes it through this!

Try feeding him dry bread; stuff that will absorb water in his belly. Also, I'd get fresh, medicine-free egg yolks and feed them to Peewee to try to get more solid stuff in his belly. I'm not sure what to do for the rest though.

I give sick birds Tylan 50 ASAP! Simply injected into breast muscle. Helps most illnesses. So sorry about PeeWee, he looks like one sick bird. You are doing everything possible. Try the Tylan... sometimes nothing we do can fix what's going on. Also use spray bottle of diluted Oxine for EVERYTHING as well, spray mist on faces, & mist coop, particularly if there are any wheezing sounds. Seems to work wonders, but must move fast, before their behavior changes to "sick," vs. mostly okay.

I did give him Tylan 50 orally, and will do so again today. I'd have preferred doing it in his breast, but he's just so thin that there's just not much there. I've only injected a bird once, and that was a cockatiel, 25 years ago, that had gout. I did it successfully, but there was more to work with on him than on my little roo right now. PeeWee is still hanging on this morning. I remove the food at night but had kept the water in there, up until last night when I removed both. I just wanted to make sure his crop was emptying ok overnight since his regurgitation the other day. He's had a lot of eggs and buttermilk, so I wanted to make sure everything was going down as it should. His crop was empty this morning, and he was waiting for food and water when I checked on him. I gave him his feed (added grit to it) and water while I scrambled an egg and mixed it with buttermilk. His eye is still dripping that thin cloudy fluid, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Tylan will help him. He seems quite content in his rubbermaid tub. The lid is only on half of it, and he has no desire to try to escape.

I did give him Tylan 50 orally, and will do so again today. I'd have preferred doing it in his breast, but he's just so thin that there's just not much there. I've only injected a bird once, and that was a cockatiel, 25 years ago, that had gout. I did it successfully, but there was more to work with on him than on my little roo right now. PeeWee is still hanging on this morning. I remove the food at night but had kept the water in there, up until last night when I removed both. I just wanted to make sure his crop was emptying ok overnight since his regurgitation the other day. He's had a lot of eggs and buttermilk, so I wanted to make sure everything was going down as it should. His crop was empty this morning, and he was waiting for food and water when I checked on him. I gave him his feed (added grit to it) and water while I scrambled an egg and mixed it with buttermilk. His eye is still dripping that thin cloudy fluid, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Tylan will help him. He seems quite content in his rubbermaid tub. The lid is only on half of it, and he has no desire to try to escape.
Give time for the tylan to work, it'll take a few days if it's a respiratory problem. When tylan is given orally, it has a longer absorption/effectiveness wait time whereas injecting is much quicker. Be patient and continue with the egg and buttermilk mixture, forget the grit...not needed.

Back
Top Bottom