Pekin drake attacking me!!!

lovemyducks2

Hatching
Oct 12, 2016
Help! How do I stop this? He was the sweetest duck but he is mean. He always nips and bites my legs and ankles. He is about 8 months old. I only have 2 male drakes. The other one is not attacking it is just Lucky. Looking for advice. I have tried to hold his beak and tell him no. Not working! Thanks in advance.

You only have two Drakes...His hormones are taking over.....Without a hen/hens he is frustrated.....Please do not sit on him....He is doing what comes natural to Drakes...He is only 8 months and things should settle down as he matures?

Silly bratty Duck.....

Cheers!

Thanks for your comments. I hope it does get better because he is being very mean! Have a good night!

Being consistent is the key to teaching them they cannot act like that with you. So you might have to do it many times in a day and for weeks. But if you are you'll have a much nicer drake once he learns. I have also used the broom to put between me and my drake and gander to keep them from getting close enough to bite. I can also sweep them out of the way. But straddling and holding them down till they stop fighting is more to their understanding. It's like you are being the dominant one not him. I am in no way condoning hitting or hurting here either. His head is facing away from you and when you let him up you send him on his way if he comes again you just keep it up till he waddles off.

Being consistent is the key to teaching them they cannot act like that with you. So you might have to do it many times in a day and for weeks. But if you are you'll have a much nicer drake once he learns. I have also used the broom to put between me and my drake and gander to keep them from getting close enough to bite. I can also sweep them out of the way. But straddling and holding them down till they stop fighting is more to their understanding. It's like you are being the dominant one not him. I am in no way condoning hitting or hurting here either. His head is facing away from you and when you let him up you send him on his way if he comes again you just keep it up till he waddles off.

I'm learning so much from you Miss Lydia! My Pekin Jabby started snapping at my face this week - and it HURT! So I searched BYC duck forum and found this old post. IT WORKS! I have been straddling him several times a day, holding his head down and giving him air kisses on his head - i also whisper to him that I'm the top of the pecking order LOL. Not only has he stopped snapping at me, he seems to like me more. You are the greatest - I'm a better duck Mom b/c of you! :bow

I'm learning so much from you Miss Lydia! My Pekin Jabby started snapping at my face this week - and it HURT! So I searched BYC duck forum and found this old post. IT WORKS! I have been straddling him several times a day, holding his head down and giving him air kisses on his head - i also whisper to him that I'm the top of the pecking order LOL. Not only has he stopped snapping at me, he seems to like me more. You are the greatest - I'm a better duck Mom b/c of you! :bow
I agree! That Miss Lydia is a pretty awesome teacher for us beginners!

Back
Top Bottom