Pekin drake attacking me!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovemyducks2, Jan 2, 2017.

1. lovemyducks2

lovemyducks2 New Egg

Oct 12, 2016
    Help! How do I stop this? He was the sweetest duck but he is mean. He always nips and bites my legs and ankles. He is about 8 months old. I only have 2 male drakes. The other one is not attacking it is just Lucky. Looking for advice. I have tried to hold his beak and tell him no. Not working! Thanks in advance.

2. KarateHorse

KarateHorse Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    I've heard that if you hold the mean drake down and sit on him he'll stop.

3. lovemyducks2

lovemyducks2 New Egg

Oct 12, 2016
    Do I have to do that every day? Or after the first time will he stop?

4. KarateHorse

KarateHorse Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    I think if you do it he will stop for a while but then will eventually start again. I have never had the problem that's just what other people do.

1 person likes this.
  5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

You only have two Drakes...His hormones are taking over.....Without a hen/hens he is frustrated.....Please do not sit on him....He is doing what comes natural to Drakes...He is only 8 months and things should settle down as he matures?

Silly bratty Duck.....

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  6. lovemyducks2

lovemyducks2 New Egg

Oct 12, 2016
    Thanks for your comments. I hope it does get better because he is being very mean! Have a good night!

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You really don't want to literally sit on your drake I straddle mine and hold his neck down so he can't turn around and bite me. This is similar to how another drake would teach him dominance.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Being consistent is the key to teaching them they cannot act like that with you. So you might have to do it many times in a day and for weeks. But if you are you'll have a much nicer drake once he learns. I have also used the broom to put between me and my drake and gander to keep them from getting close enough to bite. I can also sweep them out of the way. But straddling and holding them down till they stop fighting is more to their understanding. It's like you are being the dominant one not him. I am in no way condoning hitting or hurting here either. His head is facing away from you and when you let him up you send him on his way if he comes again you just keep it up till he waddles off.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by