Pekin Drake Limping - Not Bumble

karfisch

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2022
Hi!

I noticed a few days ago my Pekin drake was limping. It’s his left leg/foot. I’ve done some research and noted that bumblefoot tends to be a reason for this, but after inspecting his leg and foot, I see no scratches or cuts or damaged areas anywhere. His leg seems slightly swollen, but hardly noticeable.

It almost seems to me his discomfort is coming from his leg or his hip, not his foot.

I’m wondering if anyone has dealt with this in the past and if it’s possible he just injured himself and will go back to normal soon.

Other than the limping, he seems in good spirits, still moves around, eats, drinks, plays, swims and is still very vocal haha

Any peace of mind on this would be greatly appreciated, I feel so bad for him!

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you knowledgeable folks!

My Runner just got over a 2 week limping episode. She did have a tiny bumble but that wasn’t her problem more than likely just a sprain no swelling on her leg . If your seeing swelling, it could still be a sprain if you can put up a picture ? Is there anyway he may have jumped down from the pool wrong or was chased? Their legs don’t take a lot of pressure from running or jumping. How old is he and have you supplemented with a form of niacin. Rest vitamin therapy and water therapy can all help unless there is an infection. Bumble doesn’t have to come in the foot only. Can you see anything on his leg where he may have injured himself?

Last edited:
My Runners just got over a 2 week limping episode. She did have a tiny bumble but that wasn’t her problem more than likely just a sprain no swelling on her leg though. If your seeing swelling it could still be a sprain if you can put up a picture ? Is there anyway he may have jumped down from the pool wrong or was chased? Their legs don’t take a lot of pressure from running or jumping. How old is he and have you supplemented with a form of niacin. Rest vitamin therapy and water therapy can all help unless there is an infection. Bumble doesn’t have to come in the foot only. Can you see anything on his leg where he may have injured himself?
Hi! Thank you so much for your reply! I’m thinking it’s a sprain as well, definitely a chance he hopped down from the pool wrong! It’s hard to tell with the swelling because of the odd shape of their lower legs. I may just be imagining it, I’ll try to add a pic later today!

Yes, he’s about 4.5 months old at this point and lives with one other duck (a female blue runner) and they were both supplemented with brewers yeast with garlic until they went on pellets that have niacin in them as well around the time they moved outside.

Also no visible signs of injury anywhere, no scrapes, cuts or injured areas, I’m hoping it’s a sprain and he’ll get over it shortly, I noticed it first about 4 days ago, so hopefully he’ll be fine within the 2 week or so timeline you mentioned with your ducks!

Thank you again for all the info, I really appreciate it!!

Pekins being a heavy breed seem to really suffer from leg issues and I'd think jumping down wrong from the pool could do it. My Muscovy drake did that once and limped around for a good week before it healed. Now I put dog X pen fencing around the pool except where they get in and out. That way they only have one in and out way and don't jump off the side. You might want to put him back on Brewers yeast or Nutritional yeast for supplemental support until he is back walking normal and not limping.

Pekins being a heavy breed seem to really suffer from leg issues and I'd think jumping down wrong from the pool could do it. My Muscovy drake did that once and limped around for a good week before it healed. Now I put dog X pen fencing around the pool except where they get in and out. That way they only have one in and out way and don't jump off the side. You might want to put him back on Brewers yeast or Nutritional yeast for supplemental support until he is back walking normal and not limping.
Right, I figured his size and weight might have something to do with it, my little runner is so streamlined and small she can glide for a good 50 feet haha, no such ability with my boy!

Yeah, I’ve been really wanting to find another pool solution for them, currently using one of those giant plastic kiddie pools from Tractor Supply and I’ve sunk it in the ground a good 6 inches or so to make it easier for them to get in and out. But it’s always a pain to clean and now I worry it’s still too tall of a lip for them. I’ve wanted to try digging a pool out for them with a gradual decline in like a ramp, but haven’t found the time yet.

Great, I did give them a bit of the brewers yeast in their food the other day when I first noticed it but wasn’t sure if it would be too much (just one small scoop that comes in the container) since their pellets have it too. But I’ll add a bit to their food for a few days and hopefully it helps!

Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom