Pekin Duck Club!

Of course! They just can never be breeders. They will go into the incubator soon, along with a pile of Khaki Campbells!
oh good to know that they can be pets too. A pile of Khaki Campbells, that made me laugh. But speaking of those, do they have Runner in them? My friend picked up a KC duckling with a Rouen duckling to add to his flock and he sent me a photo of the fuzzers side by side and Rouen's carriage is more horizontal but KC is standing straight as a soldier next to her. It's beyond cute.

oh good to know that they can be pets too. A pile of Khaki Campbells, that made me laugh. But speaking of those, do they have Runner in them? My friend picked up a KC duckling with a Rouen duckling to add to his flock and he sent me a photo of the fuzzers side by side and Rouen's carriage is more horizontal but KC is standing straight as a soldier next to her. It's beyond cute.

Yep, there is runner in the KC heritage.

Hi all,

I am very new to ducks but I would love to join this club! I think the 2 ducklings we picked up at TSC are pekins. They are growing white feathers under all that fuzz anyways. I'll post some pics later. We have named them Howard and Lucille, although we have no idea what sex they are, and they are entirely indistinguishable right now. We got a half dozen chicks too, which are kept nearby, but separated. I have had chickens before, but never ducks so any advice is appreciated! Our plan is to house them together once they are ready to be outdoors (unless they both turn out to be males, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it), and eventually my husband wants to make them their own pad (they are his babies). So far they are delightful little things, but seem mostly terrified of us. You would think, after having been picked up and carried to and from the bath daily since they were a week old, that they would at some point stop behaving like they are about to be chainsaw-massacred, but maybe they just aren't that bright lol. The chickens also act like the apocalypse has come when we try to pick them up, but then settle down and cuddle after a few seconds.I see from reading this forum that most of them don't like being lifted, but will cuddle, so maybe we'll try holding them on our laps for a little bit every day. With a towel. They are poop factories.

I do have one question. We are about to go out of town for 4 days, and don't have anyone local who can care for our birds. We have done a few trial runs with feeding and cage cleaning to see how it would work out, and other than the mess I think it will be fine. They have a nice big waterer and hanging feeder, and we have switched their heat lamp out for a regular light bulb already, but I'm worried about them not having a bath for the 4 days. Thoughts?

Hi all,

I am very new to ducks but I would love to join this club! I think the 2 ducklings we picked up at TSC are pekins. They are growing white feathers under all that fuzz anyways. I'll post some pics later. We have named them Howard and Lucille, although we have no idea what sex they are, and they are entirely indistinguishable right now. We got a half dozen chicks too, which are kept nearby, but separated. I have had chickens before, but never ducks so any advice is appreciated! Our plan is to house them together once they are ready to be outdoors (unless they both turn out to be males, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it), and eventually my husband wants to make them their own pad (they are his babies). So far they are delightful little things, but seem mostly terrified of us. You would think, after having been picked up and carried to and from the bath daily since they were a week old, that they would at some point stop behaving like they are about to be chainsaw-massacred, but maybe they just aren't that bright lol. The chickens also act like the apocalypse has come when we try to pick them up, but then settle down and cuddle after a few seconds.I see from reading this forum that most of them don't like being lifted, but will cuddle, so maybe we'll try holding them on our laps for a little bit every day. With a towel. They are poop factories.

I do have one question. We are about to go out of town for 4 days, and don't have anyone local who can care for our birds. We have done a few trial runs with feeding and cage cleaning to see how it would work out, and other than the mess I think it will be fine. They have a nice big waterer and hanging feeder, and we have switched their heat lamp out for a regular light bulb already, but I'm worried about them not having a bath for the 4 days. Thoughts?

Feed them peas (thawed frozen peas). You will be the giver of manna from heaven and they will follow you everywhere. As long as you have peas. For those odd ducks that don't like peas, mealworms are a surefire bribe.

I think as long as they have something they can dunk their whole heads into, they should be ok. Mine went the entire winter without their bath, because Colorado.

Thanks for the tip Kaesa! I wasn't sure if I should start giving them treats, or what to start with. Do you think a frozen veg mix would be ok? I think I have some of that in the house now.

I have to get a second waterer for the chick cage, so maybe I'll see if I can find something that is a bit deeper for the ducks. They can get their whole beak into the current one, but not their eyes, and I know it's important that they can keep them clean.

They love veggies of all types! I chop up cabbage (always a favorite) along with other greens. Lean meat is also appreciated. My ducklings got a warm snack of cooked carrots, potatoes and cabbage with beef cut into tiny cubes last night. It was gone in minutes! The adults don't care if anything is cooked, or cut up for that matter! They love their treats!!

I will be getting 2 Pekin ducklings today. I'm a first-time duck owner and looking for as much advice as possible. I've always wanted ducks so I'm very excited to get started. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right so they are healthy and happy.

Back
Top Bottom